Topic: "Logic puzzle" logic
Replies: 15   Last Post: Dec 11, 1999 6:57 PM

Quentin Grady

Re: "Logic puzzle" logic

This post not CC'd by email
On Wed, 01 Dec 1999 08:13:32 +1300, Quentin Grady
<quentin@inhb.co.nz> wrote:

>G'day G'day Folks,
>
> Every so often I attempt "Logic puzzles"

At a certain point the clues that lead to simply filling in the grid
seem to be exhausted. At this stage the usual approach is to consider
the remaining possibilities and to show that one of them has an
inconsistency.

What I am wondering is,
"Are the clues necessary once this stage is reached?
Or has a point been reached where internal consistency demands
discarding all other solutions and ending up with a unique solution?"

So here is a typical grid (best viewed in fixed pitch font)

F N P 200 250 300 C M G
B ? ? ? 0 ? ? ? ? 0

L 0 ? ? 1 0 0 ? ? ?

V ? ? 0 0 ? ? ? ? ?

C ? ? 0 0 ? ?

M 0 0 1 0 ? ?

G ? ? 0 1 0 0

200 ? ? ?

250 ? ? ?

300 ? ? 0

Is it soluble by Boolean algebra or matrix methods?

Thanks,

PS I'll put the clues in a follow up post just in case I've left out a
clue that would have brought the puzzle to the point where internal
consistency alone would solve it.