Topic: "Logic puzzle" logic
Replies: 15   Last Post: Dec 11, 1999 6:57 PM

Quentin Grady

Re: "Logic puzzle" logic

This post not CC'd by email
On 1 Dec 1999 21:20:15 +0100, Bertram Felgenhauer
<bf3@irz601.inf.tu-dresden.de> wrote:

>> Is it soluble by Boolean algebra or matrix methods?
>
>What I usually do with these is to imagine "1"s in the places where I
>put "*"s and then to look for rectangles with corners like
>
>1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 1 1 - 1 1 - 1 1 - 1
>| | --> | | , | | --> | | , | | --> | | ;
> - 1 0 - 1 - 1 1 - 1 - 0 0 - 0
>
>basically I use the fact that rectangles with exactly one corner
>containing a "0" would lead to a contradiction, so I simply avoid them.
>
>have fun...

Thids method is so neat. Thank you. At first I thought it was like
parity checking but the rules are different. Still it could be done
with logic gates.

Thanks for a most thought provoking answer.

Are there other rules?

For instance is there a rule that indicates when sufficient 0s and 1s
have been extracted from the clues? Optimising the solution process
would require desisting from the clue sifting stage as soon as
sufficient basic 0s and 1s had been extracted.

Thanks again, you have made my day.