The Math Forum

Search All of the Math Forum:

Views expressed in these public forums are not endorsed by NCTM or The Math Forum.

Math Forum » Discussions » sci.math.* » sci.math.research

Notice: We are no longer accepting new posts, but the forums will continue to be readable.

Topic: How are these "minimal paths" called.
Replies: 0  

Advanced Search

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List  
Alexander Malkis

Posts: 11
Registered: 12/13/04
How are these "minimal paths" called.
Posted: Mar 9, 2004 5:19 PM
  Click to see the message monospaced in plain text Plain Text   Click to reply to this topic Reply

Let G=(V,E) be a connected graph without loops or parallel edges and W
some subset of V.
Consider all finite paths through W, (which should not necessairly be
closed, may involve some nodes from V\W and which may go through the
same node more than once.)
Among all these paths, take those with a minimal length.
How are they called? How is this minimal length called? Is anything done
in this direction, does any bibliography exist?

This looks a bit like a real travelling salesman through the cities from
the set W, where the salesman is also allowed to use the cities from
V\W, and where each connection has weight 1.

Best regards,

PS. My real email-address is formed by deleteing the letter combination
"loeschedies" from the email address given.

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in this topic.

[Privacy Policy] [Terms of Use]

© The Math Forum at NCTM 1994-2018. All Rights Reserved.