The Math Forum

Topic: Trachtenberg Speed System!
Replies: 7   Last Post: Mar 22, 2000 12:58 PM

Joe Ascoly

Re: Trachtenberg Speed System!

I spent some time learning the system.
At the same time I was also learning how to operate the abacus
I gave up on both.
I have two books by Ann Cutter. one in 1967 and one in 1973
The first one she did was 1960. The objective of the books was
to introduce the method into the American secondary school system.
This plan did not catch hold after 13 years of trying.
I believe there is a saying - you can't teach an old dog new math.
The method is interesting.
Not only has the abacus been replaced by the adding machine,
the hand held calculator has been replaced by the computer
with a calculator and a computer language, and the use of
the spread sheet.
Its a far cry from the days when my mother went shopping
in the 1930's and the store clerk wrote the purchase on a
paper bag and added the many items in his head and wrote
the total on the bag. That is what you paid.