The Math Forum

Topic: math trivia (decimals)
Replies: 3   Last Post: Mar 23, 2000 7:42 PM

Joe Ascoly

Re: math trivia (decimals)

I don't know the answer but Hewlett Packard in Corvalis WA does.
The business analyst hand held calculator by HP does just that.
It puts comma to the left but not to the right of the decimal point.
For me I object to comma in a number that is no longer
a number. In business with large numbers to report in a
profit and loss statement amounts in dollars are only reported
to the penny and thus there are no more than 2 places after the
decimal point. BUT with HP calculator you can specify how many
places after the decimal point to show and if you chose more than
2 there are no commas there.

Another thing that business people do is avoid the minus sign
So a negative balance is printed in red or enclosed in parens.

In Europe the convention for decimal point is different and they
use comma for the decimal point and period as a separator.