Topic: objective "truth" a chimera?
Replies: 8   Last Post: May 22, 2000 12:36 AM

Steve Leibel

Re: objective "truth" a chimera?

In article <392696B6.8AF3C902@home.com>, Rajarshi Ray <rajarshi@home.com> wrote:

> The search for an objective "truth" seems to be primary aim of
> scientists especially physicists (and perhaps mathematicians). They
> believe that "The truth is out there" whatever it may be.

I don't think you can claim any such belief for all scientists.

Newton's famous quote on the subject is "I frame no hypotheses." He
understood that he was able to DESCRIBE things mathematically, but he
clearly understood the difference between a mathematical description and
an underlying cause.

Can you provide some substantiation for you claim that "they" believe what
you say?

Steve L