The Math Forum

Topic: the end of human chess champions?
Replies: 47   Last Post: Jul 16, 2000 11:42 PM

Jim Gillogly

Re: the end of human chess champions? pp

Penny314 wrote:
> At the grandmaster level an extra four ply means very little. The ability to
> evaluate deep endgame structure, or balance subtle middle game structural
> issues if far more important. Things like: is my greater number of pawn islands
> going to hurt me more, thirty moves from now, than my domination of the Q5
> knight outpost and the open file help me.

This is an interesting point of view, and it's shared by some strong players.
I personally think the difference between a full-width search to 17 ply is
going to be significantly stronger than a full-width search to 13 ply, always
assuming the usual extensions on top of them. My feeling is that chess
involves tactical subtleties that may not be apparent even to grandmasters,
and the strategic and structural issues are only important if you survive
the middle game. It must be emotionally very tiring to be that careful for
that long. Against humans you can expect to get away with missing an
occasional 16-ply trap.

> Kasparov played very badly in the match against deep blue. He was
> emotionally psyched. I would like to see
> the computer play other grandmasters.

So would I.

> Personally ,I think Anand would creme it.

I'd love to see that match.

--
Jim Gillogly
Highday, 13 Afterlithe S.R. 2000, 06:09

Date Subject Author
6/30/00
Read the end of human chess champions?
Zachary Uram
6/30/00
Read Re: the end of human chess champions?
Anton Sherwood
6/30/00
Read Re: the end of human chess champions?
Bryan VanDeVen
6/30/00
Read Re: the end of human chess champions?
Dave Seaman
6/30/00
Read Re: the end of human chess champions?
Michael Varney
7/2/00
Read Re: the end of human chess champions?
John Savard
6/30/00
Read Re: the end of human chess champions?
Jeremy Boden
6/30/00
Read Re: the end of human chess champions?
Nate Eldredge
7/1/00
Read Re: the end of human chess champions?
Dik T. Winter
6/30/00
Read Re: the end of human chess champions?
Zachary Uram
7/2/00
Read Re: the end of human chess champions? p
Penny314
7/5/00
Read Re: the end of human chess champions? p
Steve Duncan
7/5/00
Read Re: the end of human chess champions? p
Jim Gillogly
7/5/00
Read Re: the end of human chess champions? p
James Hunter
7/5/00
Read Re: the end of human chess champions? p
Jim Gillogly
7/5/00
Read Re: the end of human chess champions? p
James Hunter
7/5/00
Read Re: the end of human chess champions? p
John Savard
7/6/00
Read Re: the end of human chess champions? pp
Penny314
7/6/00
Read Re: the end of human chess champions? pp
Jim Gillogly
7/6/00
Read Re: the end of human chess champions? pp
James Hunter
6/30/00
Read Re: the end of human chess champions?
Ron Bloom
6/30/00
Read Re: the end of human chess champions?
Richard Carr
7/1/00
Read Re: the end of human chess champions?
Dan Stratila
7/16/00
Read Re: the end of human chess champions?
Robert J. Kolker
6/30/00
Read Re: the end of human chess champions?
Tom Kirke
7/1/00
Read Re: the end of human chess champions?
Rajarshi Ray
7/2/00
Read Re: the end of human chess champions?
Penny314
7/2/00
Read Re: the end of human chess champions?
jonathan miller
7/4/00
Read Re: the end of human chess champions?
James Hunter
7/4/00
Read Re: the end of human chess champions?
Richard Carr
7/4/00
Read Re: the end of human chess champions?
James Hunter
7/4/00
Read Re: the end of human chess champions?
Richard Carr
7/5/00
Read Re: the end of human chess champions?
James Hunter
7/1/00
Read Re: the end of human chess champions?
Earle Jones
7/1/00
Read Re: the end of human chess champions?
Earle Jones
7/1/00
Read Re: the end of human chess champions?
Dik T. Winter
7/1/00
Read Re: the end of human chess champions?
Jim Gillogly
7/2/00
Read Re: the end of human chess champions?
Earle Jones
7/3/00
Read Re: the end of human chess champions?
John Savard
7/4/00
Read Re: the end of human chess champions?
Joachim Pimiskern
7/3/00
Read Re: the end of human chess champions?
John Savard
7/5/00
Read Re: the end of human chess champions?
Chris Thompson
7/3/00
Read Re: the end of human chess champions?
Dann Corbit
7/2/00
Read Re: the end of human chess champions?
John Savard
7/2/00
Read Re: the end of human chess champions?
Axel Harvey
7/2/00
Read Re: the end of human chess champions?
Jim Gillogly
7/3/00
Read Re: the end of human chess champions?
Zachary Uram
7/3/00
Read Re: the end of human chess champions?
anonymous