Topic: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Replies: 39   Last Post: Jan 22, 2001 6:02 PM

Steve Lord

Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals

On Tue, 2 Jan 2001, Ross A. Finlayson wrote:

> Jan Kristian Haugland wrote:

> > > Set a to 2001 or greater and b to a large value. The result is very close
> > > to 1/2001, where 2001 is called c,
> > >
> > > 1/a + 1/b = 1/c, or
> > >
> > > a ^-1 + b ^-1 = c^-1
> > >
> > > There are probably infinite solutions.

> > What does this mean? (1) There are infinitely
> > many triplets (a, b, c) with 1/a + 1/b = 1/c,
> > or (2) there are infinitely many pairs (a, b)
> > with 1/a + 1/b = 1/2001? If a, b and c are
> > restricted to the positive integers then (1)
> > is trivially true and (2) is trivially false.
> >

> > > Ross
> > >
> > > --
> > > Ross Andrew Finlayson
> > > Finlayson Consulting
> > > Ross at Tiki-Lounge: http://www.tiki-lounge.com/~raf/
> > > "The best mathematician in the world is Maplev in Ontario." - Pertti L.

> > --
> >
> > Jan Kristian Haugland
> > http://home.hia.no/~jkhaug00

> If you assign c a sufficiently large value, then for some value a slightly
> greater than c and b greater than a then there is a solution.

Do you have a proof for this statement?

> If there is one there is probably infinite.

There is one positive integer less than 2. Does that mean there are an
infinite number of them?

Steve L

Date Subject Author
1/1/01
Read Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
saxon970@yahoo.com
1/1/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Ross A. Finlayson
1/2/01
[...]
Dik T. Winter
1/3/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Philip Anderson
1/11/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
355113@my-deja.com
1/1/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
David Eppstein
1/2/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
r.e.s.
1/2/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
David Eppstein
1/2/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
r.e.s.
1/2/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
r.e.s.
1/5/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
the_great_nathan@my-deja.com
1/5/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
r.e.s.
1/5/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Randy Poe
1/6/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
the_great_nathan@my-deja.com
1/6/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
David C. Ullrich
1/9/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
the_great_nathan@my-deja.com
1/9/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
David C. Ullrich
1/11/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
the_great_nathan@my-deja.com
1/12/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
David C. Ullrich
1/13/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
the_great_nathan@my-deja.com
1/13/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
David C. Ullrich
1/18/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
the_great_nathan@my-deja.com
1/18/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
David C. Ullrich
1/22/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
the_great_nathan@my-deja.com
1/4/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Brian Evans
1/4/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Jan Kristian Haugland
1/5/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
the_great_nathan@my-deja.com
1/5/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Dave Seaman
1/5/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
David Eppstein
1/5/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Jan Kristian Haugland
1/6/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Damiano Scapeccia
1/7/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Adam Stephanides