Thank you.
From: Larry Lowery, INTERNET:llarry@sirius.com
To: Tom O'Brien, 74055,652 [74055,652]
Date: Fri, Dec 24, 1999, 2:25 PM
RE: FYI

Hi,

There is a very large upswelling of efforts against the California decision
to eliminate research-based, field-tested programs. One of the efforts is
the petition I've attached to this note.

If you have friends in California, you might want to send them a copy of
the petition.

Hope this leads to a Happy New Year for all of us.

Larry Lowery
------------------------

Written by: Larry Woolf

To: The California Science Education Advisory Committee [CSEAC]

To all:

Pasted in below is a final version of the science education petition. If
you agree with the petition:

1. Send an e-mail directly to Larry.Woolf@gat.com

2. In the e-mail, state that you support the 22 December 1999 Science
Education Petition.

3. Type your name and affiliation.

4. If you would like to remain anonymous, let me know and I will not
provide your name, but I will count you as a supporter.

5. Try to include as many names on a single e-mail as possible so that I am
not overwhelmed.

6. Forward and circulate this to your colleagues.

Thanks,

Larry Woolf

22 December 1999 Science Education Petition

We, the members of the California science, education, and business
community, are committed to quality K-12 science education for all
students.

We believe that state policy related to science education should be
based on the highest quality science and science education knowledge.

We expect and demand high quality science education standards and
high quality learning resources, including instructional materials
and professional development.

Whereas the California Science Standards are based on neither the
spirit nor the letter of the National Science Education Standards
developed by the National Academy of Sciences,

Whereas the California Science Standards are based on neither the
spirit nor the letter of the Benchmarks for Science Literacy
developed by the American Association for the Advancement of Science,

Whereas many of the California Science Standards are incorrect,
misleading, ambiguous, and age-inappropriate,

Whereas the California Academic Standards Commission ignored offers
from the National Academy of Sciences and other scientific societies
to improve the quality of the California Science Standards,

Whereas the California Board of Education has approved a policy that
effectively prohibits the adoption of scientifically accurate,
thoroughly tested, and highly regarded kit-based science curricula,

Whereas the California Board of Education has approved a policy that
allows the adoption of materials that have never been thoroughly
tested in classrooms,

Whereas the economic vitality of California is directly related to
the scientific abilities of all its people,

We therefore call for:

1. The revision of the California Science Standards so that they are
correct, unambiguous, and age-appropriate and are consistent with
peer-reviewed published academic research and the National Science
Education Standards;

2. Rejection of the current policy that only allows the adoption of
curriculum materials that meet all of the current California Science
Standards at the specified grade level;

3. The immediate allowance of waivers for school districts so that
they may purchase curriculum materials that are scientifically
accurate, age-appropriate, and thoroughly tested.

We call upon parents, teachers, schools, and school districts to
disregard the current version of the California Science Standards and
to assist the state in improving these standards and providing high
quality learning resources.

Dr. Lawrence D. Woolf
General Atomics
3550 General Atomics Court