From: Erme <erme@mathematik.uni-osnabrueck.de>
Subject: CERME 2 - First Announcement

Dear Colleagues,

The first announcement for CERME 2 is on the web under:

http://www.erme.uni-osnabrueck.de/cerme2.html

As some of you may have difficulties in getting access to the web, in the
following we are sending you a simple e-mail version. The details for venue
and accommodation were sent to you some days ago by Jarmila Novotna.

Kind regards,
Elmar Cohors-Fresenborg
European Society for Research in Mathematics Education

CERME 2: Second Conference of the European Society for Research in
Mathematics Education

Date: 24th - 27th February 2001

Place: Marianske Lazne, Czech Republic

Local Organizer: Jarmila Novotna

Programme Committee:

Elmar Cohors-Fresenborg (Chairman)
Chris Bergsten
Tommy Dreyfus
Barbara Jaworski
Maria Alessandra Mariotti
Jarmila Novotna
Julianna Szendrei

The chief aims of ERME are to promote Communication, Cooperation and
Collaboration in Research in Mathematics Education in Europe.
Fundamentally we need to know more about the research which has been
done and is ongoing, and the research groups and research interests
in different European
countries. We need to provide opportunities for collaboration in
research areas and for inter-European
cooperation between researchers in joint research projects. This
conference is designed to promote
these aims.

The conference is designed to foster a communicative spirit. It
deliberately and distinctively moves away from research presentations
by individuals towards collaborative group work. Its main feature is
to be a number of Thematic Groups whose members will work together in
a common research area. There are 7 groups in this conference.
Researchers wishing to present a paper at the conference should
submit the paper to one of these groups.

WORKING GROUPS AND CALL FOR PAPERS

Group 1: Building Structures in Mathematical Knowledge

Group 2: Tools and Technologies in Mathematical Didactics

Group 3: Theory and Practice of Teaching from Pre-service to
In-service teacher education

Group 4: Social Interactions in Mathematical Learning Situations

Group 5: Mathematical Thinking and Learning as Cognitive Processes

Group 6: Assessment and Curriculum

Group 7: The Role of Metaphors and Images in the Learning and
Understanding of Mathematics

Each group will have 3 or 4 group leaders, from different countries,
each having research interest and
expertise in the theme of the group. One of these leaders will
coordinate the group and be responsible for decisions and actions.
The group leaders will organise the work of the group. Details will
follow.

SCHEDULE

Deadline for sending papers: 30th September. The papers will be
reviewed by 30th November.

Deadline for sending the revised papers to the conference
secretariat: 31st January

POSTER SESSIONS

Poster presentations are designed for new researchers to present
their work. Posters will be displayed
throughout the conference, with sessions for discussion with
presenters at their posters. The content of posters should be firmly
in the area of research in mathematics education.

Abstracts for posters should be submitted, for approval, to the
Programme Committee via the Conference Secretariat on the poster
form. Details of size and format of posters are provided later.
------------------------
LOCAL ORGANIZER:

Jarmila Novotna
Department of Mathematics and Mathematical Education
Faculty of Education
Charles University

M.D.Rettigove 4
116 39 Praha 1