Topic: Re: Wisdom of teaching children Peano Postulates (was: when young students ask why do we need absolute value?)
Replies: 9   Last Post: Sep 20, 2001 1:58 PM

Dave Seaman

Re: Wisdom of teaching children Peano Postulates (was: when young

In article <3BA62B7D.D89AAA18@Jhuapl.edu>,
James Hunter <James.Hunter@Jhuapl.edu> wrote:

>Herman Rubin wrote:

>> >What confusion have you noticed typically results about the ordinal
>> >structure of the integers??

>> Not much, except that most college students, including
>> those taking mathematics courses, cannot understand
>> arguments by induction.

> The reason for that is that "scientists" have never
> shown that "agrument by induction" is even approximately valid.

Mathematical induction is not an "argument by induction." It is a
deductive argument.

--
Dave Seaman dseaman@purdue.edu
Amnesty International calls for new trial for Mumia Abu-Jamal