Topic: Sad Comment Heard From Discouraged Student
Replies: 1   Last Post: Feb 4, 2003 7:06 AM

Tammy Wager

Re: Sad Comment Heard From Discouraged Student

I teach a two year program, at the end of which
students take Math A. I had the students take the
exam this January just for practice because most of
them are low-level students and many have IEP's. I
thought that the more times they took the test the
more comfortable they would be. Also, that is what
this group did in previous years before I taught the
course. We were not through all of the material yet,
but they knew that. I had three of my "not yet Math A
ready" students pass the exam out of 20. Most were
frustrated and came back with the same
discouragcommentsents. It is tough on these kids.
The "regular" level students' comments did not help
either. Should I rethink the "practice"? I am hoping
that the experience will pay off in the end for this

Tammy Wager
Lake Placid High School

--- JAbriel761@aol.com wrote:
> I hope State Ed. monitors this e-mail since it
> certainly reflects what a
> great number of students are feeling. I had two
> seniors last year who gave a
> similar reaction. Both had worked very hard and one
> even broke down into
> tears during the exams, she was so frustrated. I
> will never understand what
> State Ed. hopes to accomplish by presenting topics
> that are so impractical
> and so advanced that these poor students are not
> able to grasp them.
> Janet Abriel
> Albany City School District

Do you Yahoo!?