The Math Forum

Topic: Number sense
Replies: 10   Last Post: Apr 7, 2001 2:12 AM

Jack Jersawitz

Re: Number sense - abstraction or concrete reality?

Gee Doug,

That argument was months ago. Gues one becomes immortal, or near so,
if one contributes here. Appreciate your agreement. Wish it were
possible to teach the others here that ideas taken from mind rather
than from material data are nought but ideas. All this talk about
number sense without any consideration, as though by magic, of the
material basis for that sense developing on the basis of the actual
work of the brain.

Spelling Doug. Oh mine is generally better than that except I was so
mad I just scribbled and dashed it off. At any rate, as long as it
remains reasonably readable, spelling is not all that important except
as show. Now we have spell checkers (But not on this version of
Eudora) which look for regular words, never mind that sometimes the
regular words mean nothing in the context. Thinking, conscious
thinking based on material data addressed consciously to problems is
what is important.

j.

On 06 Apr 2001, Doug wrote:
>On 10 Dec 1998, Jack Jersawitz wrote:
>> INCREDABLE!!!!!!!!
>> Had another read of your "number sense" note and had to say

more.
>> You want Joey to have number sense but want to substitute a
>>circuit board and a few chips for computation instead of Joey

>learning
>>how to do it for himself.
>> You are the reason Joey can't read, or rather your method of
>>thinking is the reason.
>> Just what do you think this "number sense" thing is? Something

in
>>the way of a conception that floats out there in air with no
concrete
>>connection to our physical reality? Does the physical brain have
>>anything to do, materially, with this "number sense."
>> Or is it just something like the rest of the world as seen by
>>folks who think the way your comment on "number sense", learning
>>computation, and calculators, makes me believe you think.
>> Do you really believe all this is only a matter of our sensory

or