Topic: High School Math Courses for 9 & 10
Replies: 7   Last Post: Nov 14, 2001 2:23 PM

Victor Steinbok

Re: High School Math Courses for 9 & 10

This is not directly pertinent to the original question, but I wonder
if any districts have ever considered a variation on the two-year
block schedule scenario--teach Algebra I and Geometry courses within
the same block schedule concurrently, alternating the algebra and
geometry days, but stretching it for two years?

It is doubtful that this has been tried on a large scale, yet this is
the approach that would most closely resemble at least some of the
European programs.

VS-)

On 04 Nov 2001, Ken Worsley wrote:
> Maggi, At Holliston we have had block scheduling for over five
>years now and we have tweeked our math program a number of times. -

We
>are still going over options!
> Algebra I will not work in a single semester. The kids need time
>to reflect and absorb . . . 90 straight days of doing two lessons a
>day just does not cut it. Most (over 60%) take algebra I at the
>middle school, so the students in algebra I are not the strongest of
>math kids to begin with, so we do 3 terms of algebra I. Some classes
>run term 1, 3, and 4 and some 2,3, and 4 or we pair 1,2, and 3 with

1,
>2, and 4 (teachers always get two algebra I classes to easy the
>scheduling). We offer quarter electives for the kids, Intro to
>keyboarding, Intro to Programming, Game Theory, Intro to Accounting
>and Business, Elective Phy. Ed. classes, Arts classes, Tech Ed., etc.
>Since we have gone to this model out SAT scores in math have gone

from