Topic: James, You're OK
Replies: 22   Last Post: Oct 6, 2004 2:18 PM

Yogi

Re: James, You're OK

On 02 Oct 2004, Michael Orion wrote:
>James,
>
>I recently read a handful of sci.math entries addressing your work. I encourage you to keep working. It seems to me that the people who think your work is hopelessly lacking, should simple get on with their own work and leave it at that. It would certainly make for a more friendly forum.
>
>Illigitimus non carborundum! And may the force be with you.
>
>- MO

A more friendly forum? Have you followed the history of this: For the last 8 years (perhaps more), James Harris has posted what he called a "brilliant new discovery" in mathematics, someone has noted an obvious error and James Harris immediately retorted that the person was an idiot who didn't know any mathematics or else was (God help us!) a "mathematician" and all mathematicians are frauds.

It USED TO BE (up until about 5 years ago) that at least the first not of an error was polite. Generally people have gotten tired of "the same old thing". My opinion is that is is better simply not to respond but some people can't seem to do that. In any case, it was James Harris who started the name calling and has continued it.