The Math Forum

Topic: Help finding a Carroll Problem
Replies: 6   Last Post: Aug 11, 2003 7:01 PM

Jim Gillogly

Re: Help finding a Carroll Problem

Sergio Martino wrote:
> Dear Sirs,
>
> I am looking for a problem referenced by Martin Gardner, Chapter 11 in his
> collection
> entitled The 2nd Scientific American Book of Mathematical Puzzles &
> Diversions,
> Simon and Schuster, 1961.
>
> Gardner references Lewis Carroll telling that "Carroll was fond of inventing
> quaint and
> enormously complicated problems of this sort. Eight are to be found in the
> appendix of his Symbolic Logic."
>
> Gardner continues speaking of a large problem about judges not smoking
> tobacco which was solved in 60's by Kemeny.
>
> Can you give me some help on where tofind the text of the problem?

I'm afraid not, but I can give you a little information. First, the problem
Gardner refers to deals with magistrates not taking snuff rather than judges
not smoking tobacco. Similar concept, but that might help you with searches.
Second, none of the eight complicated problems in the appendix of Symbolic
Logic involves either magistrates or snuff.

I skimmed through the Dover edition of Symbolic Logic and The Game of Logic,
and didn't find it in either. I looked at a few likely places in The
Complete Works of Lewis Carroll (Modern Library edition, 1936, which doesn't
include all of his math work), and didn't find it in the obvious places --
but I don't claim that search was exhaustive.

--
Jim Gillogly
Hevensday, 16 Wedmath S.R. 2003, 05:06