Ask Dr. Math
Dr. Math Home ||
Middle School ||
High School ||
Dr. Math FAQ
See also the
Browse College Physics
Stars indicate particularly interesting answers or
good places to begin browsing.
- Range of the Coefficient of Friction [10/18/2000]
Can the coefficient of friction be greater than one?
- Relativity [05/22/2002]
How do you demonstrate algebraically that [the following expressions]
are proportional to each other even when they describe 'events' that
are not on the expanding wavefront of light?
- Resistance Across Cubic Network [12/18/2003]
Given a cube with resistors at each corner, how can I find the
resistance between any pair of corners?
- Rocket Position and Velocity [04/12/2001]
A rocket is launched from the ground. Its acceleration is measured every
5 seconds. Find the velocity and position of rocket at t = 40 seconds,
using the trapezoidal rule and Simpson's rule.
- The Schroedinger Wave Equation [09/10/1998]
Can you help me understand the concepts behind Schroedinger's wave
- Sound and Alternating Current [11/17/2000]
What characteristics of sound and AC electricity allow them both to be
accurately represented by a sine wave?
- Space Shuttle Debris [06/24/2003]
Why are they shooting debris at the wing at 550 mph to assess damage?
- Special Relativity and Temperature [12/21/2005]
If temperature is the total amount of kinetic energy possessed by the
particles in a given substance, and special relativity holds that
nothing can move faster than the speed of light, does that mean that
there is an upper limit for how hot a substance can become (e.g. the
temperature where the particles begin to move at the speed of light)?
- Special Relativity, Light Consistency, and Time Dilation [07/30/2005]
A lengthy exchange on relativity centered around an initial question
of whether time dilation is a result of light consistency or vice versa.
- Special Unitary Groups In Physics [11/09/1998]
Could you explain the groups SU(2) and SU(3)? They are central to
descriptions of quantum chromodynamics.
- Specific Gravities in Large Volumes [04/09/2002]
I am trying to create a chart that could be used to help determine
what weight of methanol/water to use to either raise or lower the
specific gravity of a volume of corrosion inhibitor in bulk mixing
- Springs and Harmonic Motion (Physics) [5/29/1996]
A cart mass 3kg is held between two stretched springs... What is the
force constant for the system of springs?
- Surface Tension [11/09/2000]
How would I calculate the force exerted by a liquid from its surface
tension? Why is surface tension measured in N/m?
- Tensor [10/01/1997]
Is there a layman's definition for a tensor, with an example?
- Tensor Calculus [03/06/1998]
Scalars, vectors, and tensors, and their components.
- Tensors and Spinors Defined [09/30/1999]
What are tensors and spinors? Can you explain giving examples?
- Three Electronics Problems [10/31/2000]
Questions about current in an AC circuit, the resistive load of a
transformer, and digital logic.
- Two Masses Attached to a Spring [12/27/2000]
Two masses are attached to either end of a spring in a gravitational
field. One mass is held fixed and the second mass is allowed to hang free
and stretch the spring. When the upper mass is released, will the lower
mass remain motionless until the spring is in its rest state?
- Unit and Basis Vectors in Three Dimensions [05/09/1998]
Explanations and uses of unit vectors and basis vectors.
- Using Complex Conjugate Numbers [09/14/1999]
In a program to compute the impedance of a cable, I see equations where a
real number is multiplied by a complex number divided by the complex
number's conjugate, r*(a+bi)/(a-bi). Can you explain?
- Wavelet Analysis [8/11/1995]
I am seeking information regarding Wavelet Analysis. Could you possibly
send me a list of published works on the topic?
- Witch of Agnesi Curve [09/25/2003]
Do you know of any everyday uses for the witch of Agnesi curve?
Search the Dr. Math Library:
© 1994- The Math Forum at NCTM. All rights reserved.
Home || The Math Library || Quick Reference || Search || Help