Ask Dr. Math
Dr. Math Home ||
Middle School ||
High School ||
Dr. Math FAQ
See also the
Dr. Math FAQ:
3D and higher
Browse Elementary Circles
Stars indicate particularly interesting answers or
good places to begin browsing.
Selected answers to common questions:
Circle formulas - area, circumference.
Is a circle a polygon?
Why is a circle 360 degrees?
- Circle Area and Circumference [03/16/2002]
Are radius and diameter the same as area and circumference?
- Circle Formulas: Area and Perimeter [03/19/2003]
I get confused with the different formulas, such as Pi r squared or Pi
d (Pi times radius squared or Pi times diameter).
- Circumference [04/12/1997]
What is the circumference of a circle with a radius of 5.5?
- Circle Definitions [04/29/2002]
Define a circle and its parts: diameter, radius, center,
- Circumference and Diameter [8/10/1996]
If you know the circumference of a circle, how do you find the diameter?
- Clockwise and Counterclockwise [03/19/2001]
What does clockwise mean?
- Deriving the Area Formula for a Circle [03/08/2000]
Why is the area of a circle the square of the radius times pi?
- Dividing a Circle [5/29/1996]
If pi is 3.141..., can a circle truly be separated into 4 equal parts?
- Eratosthenes and the Circumference of the Earth [10/7/1995]
How did Eratosthenes measure the circumference of the earth?
- Explorations of the Circle [02/09/1999]
What is the definition of a circle? How does it relate to pi? What are
the important parts of a circle?
- Intersection of Circles [10/08/1998]
I do not understand the term intersection in geometry.
- Perimeter of an Oval [04/08/1999]
What is the perimeter of an oval called?
- Simple Closed Curve [05/22/2001]
Why is a simple closed curve called just that?
- Three Cuts and Seven Pieces [01/18/1999]
Is there any way that you can cut a pie into seven pieces with just three
- What is Circumference? [06/25/2001]
My friend told me it's somewhat like the measurement of the outside of a
circle, but I don't understand that.
- What is the difference between these two Pi formulas? [01/30/2001]
To find the circumference of a circle, I know how to use Pi*Diameter and
2*Pi*R, but people have told me about Pi*R*squared. What is that?
- Why Does 1 Degree Equal 60 Minutes? [07/28/2004]
In 60 minutes, the minute hand of a clock makes a full circle, which
is 360 degrees. How can 60 minutes equal 1 degree when measuring angles?
- Why Is a Circle 360 Degrees? [07/01/1998]
Why is a circle defined as 360 degrees?
Search the Dr. Math Library:
© 1994-2013 Drexel University. All rights reserved.
Home || The Math Library || Quick Reference || Search || Help
The Math Forum is a research and educational enterprise of the Drexel University School of Education.