See also the
Dr. Math FAQ:
3D and higher
Browse Elementary Fractions &
Stars indicate particularly interesting answers or
good places to begin browsing.
Selected answers to common questions:
Adding and subtracting fractions.
Finding a least common denominator (LCD).
Comparing/ordering fractions; equivalent fractions.
Improper fractions and mixed numbers.
Converting fractions to/from decimals.
Rounding fractions and decimals.
Fractions and repeating decimals.
- Multiplying Fractions [01/20/1997]
If multiplication is defined as repeated addition, why is the product of
two fractions smaller than either of the fractions?
- Multiplying Fractions [07/09/1999]
I need to know how to multiply fractions like 3/5 x 5/8.
- Multiplying Fractions and a Whole Number [5/16/1995]
How are problems like 3/5 x 4 done?
- Multiplying Fractions by Cancellation [10/09/1998]
I'm trying to multiply fractions by cancelling out numbers...
- Multiplying Mixed Numbers [04/06/2004]
Why do you need to convert mixed numbers to improper fractions before
multiplying them together? What is the mathematical reason behind
- Multiplying Numbers with Decimals [12/7/1995]
What is 9.4 x 9.6 ?
- Multiplying Unlike Fractions [4/1/1996]
What is the fastest way to multiply unlike fractions?
- Multiplying Whole Numbers by Fractions [05/31/1999]
How do you multiply whole numbers by fractions?
- Name an Equivalent Decimal [08/31/2001]
Examples of problems: 0.3, 3.10, 2.7, 5.00, 87.05, etc.
- Name of Bar That Denotes a Repeating Decimal [08/30/2004]
What is the name of the bar that goes over a digit or group of digits
that signifies that the digit or group repeats?
- Number of Places in Products of Decimals [09/19/2002]
When you multiply decimals, why is there always the same number of
decimal places in the answer as in the problem?
- Numbers in a Fraction [05/20/2001]
Is a fraction one number or is it two numbers?
- Numerator, Denominator: Etymologies [03/25/2002]
Why are the parts of a fraction called the numerator and the denominator?
- Numerators and Denominators in Addition [3/3/1996]
Why do we add numerators but not denominators when we add fractions with
- The Oneths Place [09/29/1998]
In decimal numbers, why is there no oneths place?
- Ordering Decimals [10/17/1998]
What is the best way to learn how to compare decimals? For example, is
.467 less than, greater than, or equal to .465?
- Ordering Fractions [01/17/2003]
How do I order the fractions 2/3, 3/5, and 2/7?
- Ordering Fractions by Changing Them to Decimals [12/11/2008]
How can I put the fractions 3/10, 1/2, 7/8, 4/5, 1/6, 3/4, 9/10, 1/3,
3/5, 3/8, 1/4, and 1/10 in order from least to greatest?
- Ordering Improper Fractions [10/12/2002]
How can I explain ordering improper fractions?
- Order of Decimals [05/18/1999]
How do you order decimals, for instance, 5.9, 6.10, 2.52 ?
- Order of Operations [8/21/1996]
How do I solve (8.2 - 3.6)(3 * 3.6 + 6)?
- Order of Operations and Fractions [02/22/2002]
Given a+3 and b+5, is 105 / ab 7 or 175?
- Origin of the Term "Improper" Fraction [07/28/2006]
Why are fractions with larger numerators than denominators called "improper"? Where did the terms "proper" and "improper" originate in relation to fractions?
- Percentage of Votes Cast [06/03/2003]
If you have two percentages, say 25% and 50%, can you do a percent
change between the two?
- Percent or Percentage? [05/14/2002]
Would you please explain the exact difference between the words
percent and percentage?
- Picturing Dividing Fractions [04/02/2001]
My fifth graders can divide fractions without a problem, but we can't
draw the division problems out to prove our answers...
- Placement of the Negative Sign in a Negative Mixed Number [10/25/2004]
When you have a negative improper fraction, can the negative sign be
put anywhere in the fraction? For instance, is -1 3/5 the same as 1
-3/5 and 1 3/-5?
- Place Value and Similar Numbers [08/15/2003]
How do you read these numbers? Is there a difference? 10.200, 10.00002
- Price before Discount [6/3/1996]
A calculator's price is discounted 20 percent. After adding 7 percent
- Product of Terms of a Sequence [04/18/2003]
Find the product of the first 99 terms of the sequence 1/2, 2/3, 3/4,
- Proof for Dividing Fractions [01/18/2002]
Could you please send me a proof for dividing fractions?
- Putting Fractions in Order [01/24/2001]
I am trying to order fractions from least to greatest, but am having no
- Putting Rational Numbers in Order [09/22/2002]
I have to order 4/15, 6/17, and 3/16 from least to greatest, and I
can't use a calculator.
- Rationalizing the Denominator [05/03/1999]
Why can't you have a square root in the denominator of a fraction?
- Reaction Time: Softball, Baseball [04/26/2003]
A baseball pitcher throws at 90mph from 60 feet, and a softball
pitcher throws at 60mph from 40 ft. How can I measure reaction time
for the batters?
- Reciprocal of a Mixed Number [06/01/1999]
What is the reciprocal of 6 and 1/3?
- Recurring Decimal Notation [05/12/2003]
What is 0.321 with dots over the 3 and the 1?
- Reducing Fractions [03/17/1997]
How do you know when a fraction is in its simplest form?
- Reducing Fractions [5/30/1996]
What is the easiest method of reducing fractions to lowest terms?
- Reducing Fractions with Large Numbers [03/18/2004]
If you reduced 32/48 to lowest terms, what would the answer be? Those
are big numbers, which makes it hard for me.