Ask Dr. Math
Dr. Math Home ||
Middle School ||
High School ||
Dr. Math FAQ
See also the
Dr. Math FAQ:
3D and higher
Browse Elementary Number Sense/About Numbers
Stars indicate particularly interesting answers or
good places to begin browsing.
Selected answers to common questions:
Multiplying by zero.
Casting out nines.
Number facts from the Web.
- What is 0? [5/21/1996]
Is 0 a positive or a negative integer, or neither?
- What is a Number Base? [04/19/2003]
The base eight number 7n3 is equal to the base 7 number 1n35.
What digit does n stand for?
- What is a Parenthesis? [07/17/2000]
What does the mathematical term "parenthesis" mean?
- What is Expanded Notation? [08/22/2001]
My daughter was asked to rewrite each number as expanded notation. What
is expanded notation?
- What is Number Sense and How Can You Improve It? [08/29/2007]
What does the term 'number sense' refer to on standardized math test
results? Is there any way to increase your number sense?
- Where Does Pi Come From? [11/04/1996]
If pi is a ratio of lengths that can be measured only so accurately, how
can we know the value of pi so exactly?
- Who Invented Integers? [11/29/2001]
And when were integers invented?
- Whole Numbers and Multiples [09/11/2001]
My students and I have been trying to figure out what numbers are in the
set of "Whole Numbers." Is zero a whole number?
- Why Casting Out Nines Works [10/13/2008]
Can you explain in simple terms why the Casting Out Nines method works?
- Why Commas after Every Three Places? [07/10/2001]
Why do we put commas after every three places in a number like 200,000?
- Why Estimate? [08/16/2002]
Estimate to the nearest thousand a solution to Dave's subtraction
problem. The numbers are: 6,107 - 2,980 = 4,127.
- Why Rules? [08/15/2001]
Why do we need to have rules for order of operations?
- Why Study Prime and Composite Numbers? [01/25/2001]
My husband and I wonder why this is taught in school at all. Who uses
this in the real world? Why does someone need to know whether a number is
a prime number or not?
- Why Two Odds Always Sum to an Even [03/21/2002]
Why do two odd numbers always equal an even number but two even numbers
never equal an odd number?
- Why Zero is neither Positive nor Negative [10/5/1995]
My class and I are wondering if 0 is a negative or a positive number and
- Word for a 225th Birthday [07/10/2001]
This year America is celebrating its 225th birthday. As we celebrated the
bicentennial in 1976, is there a term for 225 years?
- Working in Base 7 [08/02/2007]
How do I add, subtract, multiply and divide in base 7?
- Writing Numbers [11/24/2002]
Which words are okay to capitalize and when are hyphens used between
- Writing Numbers in Words [09/15/1997]
Write each number in words: 1) 73.78007 2) 2.900087 (3) 34.4939.
- Zero and Negative Infinity [06/02/2003]
What is the smallest number? Zero or negative infinity? Explaining
concepts to a four-year-old.
- Zero Before the Decimal Point? [10/06/2000]
What is the merit of writing the zero before the decimal point in numbers
less than one, for example 0.25?
- Zero for Children [03/16/2002]
When you are teaching children to count (1-10), do you include zero? Why
or why not? How do you explain to a child (K-2) what the value of zero
is, and is zero just a place holder?
- Zero in the Denominator [8/14/1996]
What is the value of 4/0 * 0/4?
Search the Dr. Math Library:
© 1994-2015 Drexel University. All rights reserved.
Home || The Math Library || Quick Reference || Search || Help
The Math Forum is a research and educational enterprise of the Drexel University School of Education.