Ask Dr. Math
Dr. Math Home ||
Middle School ||
High School ||
Dr. Math FAQ
See also the
Dr. Math FAQ:
place value help
3D and higher
Browse Elementary Place Value
Stars indicate particularly interesting answers or
good places to begin browsing.
Selected answers to common questions:
Place value questions.
- Significant Digits and Irrational Numbers [09/24/2005]
How can you determine the signifigant digits of a non-terminating or
irrational number like pi?
- Significant Digits and Zero [05/19/1999]
When are zeros significant and when are they not significant?
- Significant Digits in Measurement [08/13/2001]
I understand that there are rules to determine the significant digits in
measurement, but aren't all digits significant, especially zeros for
- Significant Digits in Numbers Written in Scientific Notation [06/20/2005]
A discussion between Dr. Peterson and a student who is struggling with how to determine significant digits in general and with regard to numbers in scientific notation in particular.
- Significant Figures [02/25/1999]
Why does 62.3 * 5.7 = 360 and not 355?
- Significant Figures in 36 2/3 [11/06/2001]
How many significant figures are there in the area "36 2/3 Acres"?
- Smallest 5-Digit Number [02/05/2002]
My dad says the smallest 5-digit number is 00000, but my teacher says it
is 10000. The dictionary says that zero is a digit. What's the right
- Square Numbers End in 0 1 4 5 6 9 [10/15/2002]
Why do all square numbers end in 0 1 4 5 6 9?
- Subtracting and Borrowing in a Column [09/05/2002]
A student borrowed in a column as follows: 6.9 - 7.92, to get -2.98.
Why won't borrowing work with this number?
- Subtracting Mixed Fractions With Borrowing [01/08/2004]
Two methods for subtracting mixed fractions involving borrowing
because the fraction being subtracted is larger than the other one.
For example, 5 3/8 - 10 6/8.
- Subtracting with Mixed Units [02/10/2009]
How would you subtract 1 ton, 12 lb, 6 oz from 4 tons?
- Truncating [01/19/2002]
What does truncating mean?
- Use and Meaning of 'And' in Naming Decimals [12/01/2004]
Can you please tell me what the word "and" means in the word form of a
- Using Hyphens to Indicate Place Value [08/30/2004]
What is the difference between "five hundred thousandths" and "five
- What is a Number Base? [04/19/2003]
The base eight number 7n3 is equal to the base 7 number 1n35.
What digit does n stand for?
- Why Multiplying by 10 Just Adds a Zero at the End [10/18/2005]
My 8-year old is having trouble understanding why multiplying by 10
just adds a 0 to the end of the number. Do you have any thoughts on
how to explain it to her?
- Why the Decimal Point Moves when Multiplying by 10 [02/11/2005]
I am trying to explain why when you multiply a number by 10 you move
the decimal point over one place to the right, and one place to the
left when you divide by 10.
- Working in Base 7 [08/02/2007]
How do I add, subtract, multiply and divide in base 7?
- Working Up to Counting Up [09/25/2003]
My daughter wants to learn how to make change by counting up.
- Writing Decimals from Words [10/05/1998]
Given a decimal written in words, how do you turn it into a decimal? In
other words, how do you turn the words into numbers?
- Writing Numbers in Words [09/15/1997]
Write each number in words: 1) 73.78007 2) 2.900087 (3) 34.4939.
- Zeros after the Decimal Point [09/17/2001]
I have a group of students who just can't comprehend my explanation of
how 3.70 is equivalent to 3.7 or 3.700 or 3.7000.
Search the Dr. Math Library:
© 1994-2014 Drexel University. All rights reserved.
Home || The Math Library || Quick Reference || Search || Help
The Math Forum is a research and educational enterprise of the Drexel University School of Education.