Ask Dr. Math
Dr. Math Home ||
Middle School ||
High School ||
Dr. Math FAQ
3D and higher
Browse Elementary Projects
Stars indicate particularly interesting answers or
good places to begin browsing.
- Demonstrating Inertia [10/10/1995]
A hole is bored through the exact center of the earth from the North Pole
to the South Pole, and a mass is dropped into the hole in the exact
center. What happens next? Do you know of a project that can demonstrate
the results to fifth graders?
- Estimating the Number of Jelly Beans in a Jar [2/18/1995]
I'm doing my fifth grade project on probability. I need help
naming/finding the reason why the average of the guesses of how many
things are in jar is a good prediction of the exact number of things in
- Using an Abacus [1/12/1996]
Our fifth grade class of gifted and talented math students is trying to
figure out how to use an abacus.
- 4th Grade Estimation Problems [4/19/1996]
What types of problems exemplify using order of magnitude in estimation
and compensation in estimation at the fourth grade level?
- 6th and 3rd Grade Math Resources [11/2/1994]
My sons, in 6th and 3rd grade, love math. Is there a Web forum,
downloadable problems, or how do I get them involved?
- Breaking the Sound Barrier [10/21/1997]
I am trying to find a way to incorporate breaking the sound barrier into
a math lesson for my third grade class.
- History of Numerals and Counting: Bibliography [11/18/1996]
Where do I find information on different systems of measurements?
- Magic Squares for 3rd and 4th Grade [11/5/1994]
HELP - I am an administrator with a grade 3 teacher for a wife. Her
children love to do Magic Squares (rows, columns and diagonals add up to
the same number) - is there an easy way to create these squares, suitable
for grade 3 or 4? Is there a source of examples?
- Magic Squares puzzle [11/9/1994]
Can you please send me the Puzzle (and the solution) called the Magic
- Multiplying with an Abacus [3/12/1996]
Is it possible to multiply with an abacus? My students have searched for
an hour and found only addition and subtraction.
- Numeral Systems and Representing Numbers [10/30/1998]
Can you tell me the different ways the number 8 is represented? For
example, what about different numeral systems?
- Pentominoes [11/1/1994]
I'm interested in learning about pentominoes -- creative uses in class,
solutions to the 6 X 10 rectangle, etc. Have any ideas? A bibliography to
- Plane Symmetry [10/3/1995]
I have to do a mathematics paper on plane symmetry and also a challenging
activity related to this appropriate for grades four to six. Can you
suggest a possible resource?
- Remove Five Toothpicks, Leave Three Squares [09/16/2002]
If you have six squares made up of toothpicks, how can you remove five
toothpicks and leave three squares?
- Weighted Coin Project [02/01/1997]
Analyze the results from flipping a non-weighted coin and a weighted
Search the Dr. Math Library:
© 1994- The Math Forum at NCTM. All rights reserved.
Home || The Math Library || Quick Reference || Search || Help