Ask Dr. Math
High School Archive
Dr. Math Home ||
Middle School ||
High School ||
Dr. Math FAQ
See also the
Dr. Math FAQ:
Browse High School Euclidean/Plane Geometry
Stars indicate particularly interesting answers or
good places to begin browsing.
Selected answers to common questions:
Pythagorean theorem proofs.
- When Does 2D Become 3D? [01/20/2003]
Is a piece of paper a 3D object when held up in space? Or is it a 2D
object in 3D space?
- When is the expression Q.E.D. used? [02/15/1999]
More on Q.E.D.
- Why Cubed? [11/27/2001]
Why do we use "cubed" for the volume of a figure?
- Why is K Used as an Abbreviation for Area? [11/29/2004]
Many textbooks use the letter K to represent area in formulas, instead
of A. Do you know why that is?
- Why Learn Geometric Proofs? [02/27/2002]
Why are we taught geometric proofs if the vast majority of us will never
- Why Proofs? Definitions and Axioms [09/16/2001]
Why are proofs important in the development of a mathematical system like
- Why Was Pi Invented? [04/10/2003]
What is pi good for?
- Wood Flooring [08/09/1997]
Estimating the number of linear feet in 1 sq. ft., making wood flooring
3.25 inches wide, producing 5,000 sq. ft. per day.
- World War II Window Blackout [10/21/2001]
Mr. Brown had a square window 120cm x 120cm, but the only material he
could find was a sheet of plywood 160cm x 90cm; same area, different
shape. He drew some lines and cut out just two congruent shapes, which he
joined to make a square of the correct size. How did he do it?
- Writing a Proof [05/16/2001]
Is there a certain way I should go about writing a proof?
- Yes, a Graph Can Touch an Asymptote [06/08/2006]
Is it true that the graph of a function can never touch an asymptote?
- Zero Degree and 360 Degree Angles [10/22/2003]
I am curious if there is such a thing as a zero degree angle, and if
so, what does it look like? I am also wondering if a zero degree
angle equals a 360 degree angle? I understand that a 360 degree angle
is essentially a circle, or the amount of 'turn' that equals a circle.
I am pondering how you would draw a 360 degree angle?
- Zooming Rectangles [05/11/2005]
What is the math behind zooming rectangles?
Search the Dr. Math Library:
© 1994- The Math Forum at NCTM. All rights reserved.
Home || The Math Library || Quick Reference || Search || Help