Ask Dr. Math
High School Archive
Dr. Math Home ||
Middle School ||
High School ||
Dr. Math FAQ
See also the
Dr. Math FAQ:
Browse High School Higher-Dimensional Geometry
Stars indicate particularly interesting answers or
good places to begin browsing.
Selected answers to common questions:
Do cones or cylinders have edges?
Latitude and longitude.
MaximizIng the volume of a cylinder.
- Volume of Irregular Pyramid of Human Arm [7/24/1996]
I form an irregular pyramid from my arm, forearm, shoulder and wrist in
the rest position (forearm rested on a table). Is there any way to
measure the volume of this irregular pyramid?
- Volume of Liquid in a Cylinder [6/4/1996]
How can I calculate the area under a chord of a circle - the amount of
liquid in a cylinder laid in the horizontal plane?
- Volume of Liquid in a Cylindrical Tank [05/08/2000]
How can I calculate volume of liquid in a cylinder that's not full and
- Volume of Partially Full Cylinder on its Side [12/31/2001]
I am in charge of ordering fuel for our company, and the way the owner
calculates the volume is via a grossly simplified percent full
- Volume of Pyramid With Square Base [9/14/1996]
What is the volume of a pyramid with a a height of 20.6 meters and a
square base with sides of 35 meters?
- Volume of Soil [02/16/1999]
How many cubic feet of soil will be needed to fill a 2x6x4x4' by 8"
trapezoidal garden bed?
- Volume of Spherical Cap [02/06/1998]
I am trying to find the volume of a cap of a sphere with radius of 5. The
cap has a height of 3 - it is as if the top of the sphere, 3 meters from
the top, was severed from the rest of the sphere.
- Volume of Spherical Cap [01/29/2002]
If a heavy sphere, whose diameter is 4 inches, be put into a conical
glass full of water whose diameter is 5 and altitude 6 inches, how much
water will run over? Ans: nearly 35/47 of a pint.
- Volume of Tacoma Dome [01/16/2002]
I am trying to figure the volume of the Tacoma Dome in Tacoma,
- Volume of the Frustum of a Pyramid [10/31/2001]
I am trying to figure out how to derive the formula for the volume of a
frustum of a pyramid.
- Volume of Water Passing through a Pipe [08/12/1997]
How many gallons of water per minute can a 12" cylinder pipe handle?
- Volumes of a Cone and a Cylinder [07/09/2003]
Why is the volume of a cone a third of the volume of a cylinder?
- Volume vs. Capacity [05/01/2002]
Can you explain the difference between the terms volume and capacity?
Also mass and weight.
- Water in a Horizontal Tank [8/7/1996]
What's the volume of water in a cylindrical tank 72" long and 36" in
diameter, filled only to 4.25"?
- Weight of a Whale [05/24/1999]
How do you find the weight of a whale?
- What Constitutes a Prism? [06/10/1999]
If I am looking at an object that's shaped like a triangle, how do I know
if it's a prism?
- What Fraction of Water Overflows? [02/04/2002]
A conical vessel of radius 6cm and height 8cm is completely filled with
water. A sphere is lowered into it and its size is such that when it
touches the sides of the conical vessel it is JUST immersed. What
fraction of water overflows?
- What is Geometry For? [03/01/2002]
What is geometry really for?
- What Skew Lines Are and Aren't [01/14/2004]
A description of skew lines including diagrams and definitions.
- When Does 2D Become 3D? [01/20/2003]
Is a piece of paper a 3D object when held up in space? Or is it a 2D
object in 3D space?
- Why Cubed? [11/27/2001]
Why do we use "cubed" for the volume of a figure?
Search the Dr. Math Library:
© 1994- The Math Forum at NCTM. All rights reserved.
Home || The Math Library || Quick Reference || Search || Help