See also the
Browse High School Calculators and Computers
Stars indicate particularly interesting answers or
good places to begin browsing.
Selected answers to common questions:
- Binary Conversion [01/07/1998]
In an adult computer course we are supposed convert binary numbers to
real numbers and binary to hexadecimal.
- Decimal To Fraction Conversion [06/25/1998]
I am trying to find a method (one that can be programmed on a PC) to
convert the decimal part of a real number to a fraction represented by
integers for the numerator and denominator.
- Dividing by Zero on a Calculator or Computer [2/12/1996]
Whenever I try to divide a number by 0, I get an error on both my
computer and calculator. Please explain to me why this can't be done.
- Year 2000 (Y2K) Problem [07/26/1998]
Can you explain the Year 2000 problem in layman's terms? Why is it so
hard to fix?
- 2D Graphing Software: Maple [7/15/1996]
Could you recommend any PC software that could help me study hyperbolas
and other curves?
- 3-D Points to a 2-D computer screen [07/25/1997]
I am trying to write a 3-D graphics engine that takes 8 points with their
own (X,Y,Z) coordinates to plot a CUBE in 3-D space...
- Algorithm for Finding Pi, in C [02/14/1998]
I would like to know how to implement various algorithms for finding pi
in the C language.
- Algorithm for Simple Fractional Exponents [03/14/2002]
How can I explain to my program how to resolve simple fractional
exponents using only addition, subtraction, multiplication, division,
square, and square root?
- Analog-to-Digital Conversion [02/07/2001]
How do I do an analog-to-digital conversion of text and strings, or of
- Arbitrary-Precision Arithmetic [08/08/2003]
How could I use QBasic V4.5's math to compute numbers that are greater
than 10^15 in the quickest way, and yet display every single digit in
- Arccos Algorithms and Computer Calculators [03/21/1998]
I need an algorithm to find the arccos of a value.
- Arc Midpoint [07/17/2001]
I'm trying to figure out the midpoint of an arc where I know the start
and end points of the arc and the radius only.
- ASCII or EBCDIC? [05/11/2002]
Given a bit sequence like 01000001, how can I tell if it's ASCII or
- Binary Division and Negative Binary Numbers [02/24/2002]
Suppose you enter 11111000 into a binary calculator. How would it know
whether that is to be 248 or -8? How does the computer begin the division
process? What does it do when it cannot right shift the bits?
- Binary Search Trees [02/06/2003]
Which of the following sequences represent(s) an order of insertion
that will result in a binary search tree where each node in the tree
has the same number of nodes in its left and right subtrees?...
- Binary Subtraction [07/04/2003]
I need help understanding the rules of subtracting binary numbers when
the subtrahend is larger then the minuend.
- Bits, Bytes [04/28/2003]
A Web page of 10 megabytes is being retrieved from a Web server. What
is the time to transfer the page over a modem operating at 28.8kbps?
- Boolean Numbers [04/01/2003]
Our C Programming course said a Boolean number was a number that was
either true or false. I'm not sure what a true or false number is.
- C++ Abundant Number Program [01/26/2001]
Is there a computer science C++ formula that allows the user to find
whether a number is abundant, deficient, or perfect?
- Calculate the Derivative for Sqrt(x^5) [03/09/2003]
Why does the calculator fail when I calculate the derivative for
- Calculating Sine Without Using the Sine Key or a Table [01/02/2004]
I'm curious what the arithmetic is behind the trig functions. For
example, to evaluate sin(48), what math process could I use if I
didn't have a calculator?
- Calculator Addition [6/30/1996]
How does a calculator add?
- Calculator for Algebra I and Physical Science [8/11/1995]
My son is taking Algebra I and a first course in physical science this
semester. Do you have a recommendation for a calculator?
- Calculators and Irrational Numbers [05/02/2001]
When I square the square root of 11 on any calculator, I get the answer
11 (exactly). That seems to indicate that the square root of 11 is a
rational number, but it's not. Can you explain this?
- Calculators and Trig Functions [12/03/1996]
How do calculators solve trigonometric functions? Is there any way to
determine the y value on a graph of the arc subtended by the angle theta?
- Calculators - CORDIC Method [05/16/1999]
How can a computer or calculator calculate square roots, cube roots, Xth
root, x^y, logarithm, sine, cosine, ...?
- Chaos Theory and Computers [2/4/1996]
I have happened upon an equation which can create a fractal that
demonstrates chaos theory graphically. Since the computer cannot learn,
and chaos theory is based on a lack of pattern, how is the computer able
to compute this?
- Check Digits in Payroll or Stock Numbers [11/16/1996]
What is the set of calculations required to get a unique check digit?
- Combining Multiple Signals in Data Transmission [02/18/2001]
How can a cable carry so much information? How can data carriers compress
multiple signals and then pull them apart again?
- Combining Numbers Reversibly [06/04/2003]
I have been trying to find a way of getting two different numbers,
combining them through a formula that will give a final number. From
that new number it should be possible to get the two numbers back.
- Compute 16-bit One's Complement Sum [03/20/2002]
In my TCP/IP book it says, "to compute the IP checksum for outgoing datagram, the value of checksum field is set to zero, then the 16-bit one's complement sum of the header is calculated (i.e. the entire header is considered a sequence of 16-bit words)" - but I do not know how to compute the one's complement sum.
- Computers and Calculators in Math Today [12/6/1995]
For a term paper on math, I need to know how computers and calculators
play a big part in math today.
- Computers and Trigonometric Functions [02/11/1997]
How do computers and calculators calculate values for sine, cosine, and
- Computers: Defining Logical Operations [05/21/1998]
Can you tell me the meaning of the following logical operations: AND, OR,
XOR, NAND, NOR, NOT?
- Converting a Decimal Hour [11/22/2001]
How do I convert 1.7 hours into hours, min, sec? Is there a standard
formula I can use? I would like to put this into an Excel spreadsheet.
- Converting Bits to Megabytes [02/12/2001]
The human brain will store 100 trillion bits in its lifetime. How many
million megabytes can your brain store?
- Converting HH:MM to Minutes in Excel [06/25/2003]
Is there an easy method (i.e. any formula or a macro) for converting
Hours:Minutes (HH:MM) to Minutes in Excel?
- C++ Program to Convert Decimal to Binary [10/26/1999]
Can you show me a C++ routine that converts decimal numbers to binary?
- Cyclic Redundancy Check [06/26/2002]
I understand how cyclic redundancy checks work, but I fail to see how
appending zeros to the message string (before the division) provides an
- Data Compression [08/10/2003]
Is there an algorithm that can reduce any binary number to a much
smaller binary number, then later be reversed to regain the original
number? It has to work for any binary number.