Ask Dr. Math
High School Archive
Dr. Math Home ||
Middle School ||
High School ||
Dr. Math FAQ
See also the
Browse High School Linear Algebra
Stars indicate particularly interesting answers or
good places to begin browsing.
Selected answers to common questions:
- Volume of a Tetrahedron [01/23/2002]
The volume of a tetrahedron is one-third the distance from a vertex to
the opposite face, times the area of that face. Find a formula for the
volume of a tetrahedron in terms of the coordinates of its vertices P, Q,
R, and S.
- Volume of Irregular Pyramid of Human Arm [7/24/1996]
I form an irregular pyramid from my arm, forearm, shoulder and wrist in
the rest position (forearm rested on a table). Is there any way to
measure the volume of this irregular pyramid?
- What is a Loop? [10/06/1997]
Further, exactly what is _an_ algebra? Thirdly, what is a Lie group?
- What is Nonlinear Math? [10/02/1997]
What exactly is nonlinear math, and what is it used for?
- What is the Purpose of a Matrix? [11/04/2003]
What is the purpose of a matrix?
- Why Does Matrix Multiplication Work the Way It Does? [09/13/2006]
I understand how to multiply matrices, but I'm curious why the process
involves the multiplication and addition steps. Can you show me why it
works that way?
- Why Does the Least Squares Method Work for Line of Best Fit? [10/05/2007]
My son is doing line of best fit in algebra. Can you explain the
derivation of the least squares formula rather than just saying, 'Use
this equation to solve for M and C in y = Mx + C?'
- Why They're Called Direction Cosines [09/11/2003]
I would like to know how to find the angles between a 3D vector and the
3 coordinate axes, given the components of the vector.
- Yacht Distances and Vectors [09/05/1998]
Can you help me find the smallest distance between two yachts using
Search the Dr. Math Library:
© 1994-2014 Drexel University. All rights reserved.
Home || The Math Library || Quick Reference || Search || Help
The Math Forum is a research and educational enterprise of the Drexel University School of Education.