See also the
Browse High School Physics/Chemistry
Stars indicate particularly interesting answers or
good places to begin browsing.
- Can the Bus Cross the Gap? [9/15/1996]
We want to show that it is possible for a bus to cross a 50 ft. gap in a
- Definition of a Vector [02/28/2002]
I would like a "proper" definition of a vector and how concepts of
"magnitude" and "direction" arise in the discussion of vectors.
- Doppler Effect [5/19/1996]
We are having incredible trouble getting any understandable research on
the Doppler Effect.
- Headlights, Light Waves, Sound Waves [01/26/1998]
If you are in a hypothetical car traveling at the speed of light, what
happens when you turn your lights on?
- In the Hollow Center of a Large Mass [12/23/1995]
In physics lecture I was told that if a large mass, such as the earth,
were hollow and you were to be in the hollow part, then you would be
- Mass vs. Weight [01/22/1999]
Can you give me a definition of mass and how it differs from weight?
- Proof: Earth is Round [8/7/1996]
How can I explain, using simple trig, geometry, and standard definitions
of distance, that the Earth is round?
- Special Relativity [11/1/1996]
Can you please explain Einstein's theory of special relativity to me?
- Truth Tables and Computer Circuits [01/17/2000]
Can you please explain how to read and draw computer circuit diagrams,
how to form truth tables from reading the diagrams, and the logical
arguments behind this?
- Why Can't We Break the Speed of Light? [12/10/1999]
Why can't we go faster than the speed of light with the equipment we have
now? How about in the future?
- Why There are 12 Tones in a Scale [12/28/2000]
Why are there 12 tones in an octave? Can you explain the significance or
the equation r^n = 2^m? Also, what's so special about a fifth? Why should
the scale be based on the fraction 3/2?
- Absolute Speed [08/12/1997]
The absolute speed, within the Einsteinian universe, is c (the speed of
light). If a ship going 1/100 of c shines a flashlight, what could happen
to the light emitted?...
- Absolute Zero [05/11/2001]
Why is absolute zero used in some calculations, e.g. temperature + 460?
- Acceleration [9/12/1996]
A 10-kg object accelerates at 60 m/s^2. What would be the acceleration of
a 30-kg object?
- Acceleration around a Corner [09/17/2005]
What is the formula to find out the acceleration of an object going
around a corner?
- Acceleration in Drag Racing [06/06/2002]
A drag race car starts from a dead stop. It travels 1/4 mile in 11.0
seconds. How fast is it going at the finish line?
- Adding Velocities in Relativity [07/12/1999]
A train is moving at 60 mph as measured by an observer on the ground
outside... A man is walking on the train at 5 mph as measured by an
observer standing on the train...
- Adjusting Gear Sizes [07/14/2000]
Some material is to be cut into 4" pieces that are 1/8" apart by passing
it through two sets of vertical rollers connected by a gear. What
diameter of the second bottom roller will give the right separation?
- Alcohol Solutions [04/22/1997]
How many liters of a 14 percent alcohol solution must be mixed with 20
liters of a 50 percent alcohol solution to get a 20 percent alcohol
- Altitude of a Model Rocket [10/26/1999]
I need an algebraic formula that determines the altitude of a rocket
based upon inclination observations of three ground observers.
- Anaesthetic Concentration [07/21/2003]
What is the % concentration when you constitute 100ml water with 2.5g
- Angle for maximum height using water stream [12/7/1994]
I am trying to investigate the relationship between the angle a hose
would have to be positioned in order to maximize the height of the stream
of water of constant pressure.
- Angle of Flight [11/27/1997]
A fly is sitting at 12 o'clock on a frictionless clock. He takes a step
to one side and begins to slide down the clock...
- The Angles of a Tetrahedron [07/08/1998]
Why is the angle from one vertex to the exact center of the tetrahedron
around 109.5 degrees?
- Anomalous Addition [02/17/1999]
Is it true that sometimes 2 + 2 = 5?
- Arterial Branching Calculus [05/28/2003]
In the surgical connection of a small artery to an existing larger
artery, attention must be paid to minimising the viscous resistance
to the blood flow... Investigate the distance from B of the join and
hence the angle of attachment that minimises the resistance to flow.
- Atoms and Molecules [11/28/2001]
A certain molecule contains twice as many atoms of hydrogen as oxygen and
one more atom of carbon than hydrogen. If there are 21 atoms altogether
in the molecule, how many atoms of carbon are there?
- Bach and Mathematics [04/16/1997]
What are some of the connections between music and math?
- Balancing and Applying Chemical Equations [01/20/2005]
I don't know how to balance the chemical equation __C2H5OH + __O2 --->
__CO2 + __H2O. I also need to determine the mass of CO2 produced from
the combustion of 100g of the ethanol (C2H5OH).
- Balancing Chemical Equations [11/21/1999]
How do you balnce a chemical equation like C2H6 + O2 = CO2 + H2O?
- Balancing Chemical Equations [09/21/2000]
Is it possible to create a finitely terminating algorithm to balance a
- Balancing Chemical Equations [02/04/2004]
I am having trouble balancing very complex chemical equations, such as
HIO3 + FeI2 + HCl -> FeCl3 + ICl + H2O.
- Bicycle [03/03/1999]
A problem on linear and angular speed.
- Black Holes [11/12/1997]
Imagine an observer outside a black hole watching someone wearing a clock
moving into the black hole...
- Boethius and Harmonics [09/28/1997]
Can you explain Boethius and his theory of harmonics of music?
- Boiling Point of Water [01/29/1997]
Is there an equation that predicts the boiling point of water as the
pressure is increased?
- Bouncing Cue Ball [10/29/1996]
A cue ball is launched at an angle of 45 degrees from the lower left
corner of a pool table and ends up in the lower right corner. What rule
will predict which corner the ball will hit? What patterns are involved?
- Breaking the Sound Barrier [10/21/1997]
I am trying to find a way to incorporate breaking the sound barrier into
a math lesson for my third grade class.
- Calculating a Mirror's Reflection [08/08/1999]
How can I find the angle and the point on a mirror to shine a light at in
order to illuminate an object?
- Calculating Calories Burned through Exercise [05/11/2004]
I wanted to know how many Calories are required to perform a 'Bench
Press' and various other exercises.