Ask Dr. Math
High School Archive
Dr. Math Home ||
Middle School ||
High School ||
Dr. Math FAQ
See also the
Dr. Math FAQ:
See also the
Browse High School Trigonometry
Stars indicate particularly interesting answers or
good places to begin browsing.
Selected answers to common questions:
Volume of a tank.
- Using the Law of Cosines [05/21/1998]
Given the length of three sides of a triangle, how can I find the angle
between any two of the sides?
- Using the Laws of Sine and Cosine [9/24/1995]
How do I find the sine and cosine of pi/12?
- Using Trig Identities to Simplify [7/26/1996]
How do I simplify ((sin @ - 1)/cos @) - (cos @/(sin @ -1)) ?
- Using Trigonometric Identities [05/31/1999]
How can I prove that sin(4x) = 2sin(2x) - 8sin^3(x)cosx ?
- Value of Angle DBC [1/23/1996]
Imagine a triangle ABC on which angles B and C are equal to 80...
- Vector Angles: Prove A.B = |A||B|cosA [07/13/1998]
I just finished my pre-calc class, and at the end we covered vectors...
- Verifying Trigonometric Identities [07/12/2002]
How do you verify a trigonometric identity?
- Verify the Identity [04/17/2003]
Verify the identity: (csc x)/(tan x + cot x) = cos x.
- Vertices of an Octagon [10/29/1996]
Find the coordinates of the vertices of an octagon with center (0,0) when
it is inscribed in a square.
- What Is the Length of PR? [01/01/2003]
In a circle of radius 6, a triangle PQR is drawn having QR=8 and
- What is the Longest Pole? [04/04/1999]
A metal pole L ft long is pushed on the floor from one corridor into
another corridor at a right angle...
- What is the Relation between tan and tanh? [08/25/2001]
I want to know the relation between tangent and hyperbolic tangent.
- What is Trigonometry? [8/20/1996]
What is trigonometry, and what is it used for?
- What's 'Arccos'? [06/17/2001]
I'm trying to write a program in Visual Basic 6 about the distance
calculation between two cities.
- When to Use Law of Sines or Law of Cosines [02/01/2006]
When do we use the law of sines as opposed to the law of cosines?
- Where Will the Runners Meet? [03/29/1999]
Two runners, A and B, start 90 degrees away from each other on a circular
track and run at the same speed. If Runner B decides to cut across the
track, where will they meet?
- Which Side is Longer? [1/27/1995]
You are given a quadrilateral, ABCD, with diagonal DB, angle ADC = 90,
angle DBC = 43, angle C = 91, side AD = 9, side DC = 9. Find which is
longer AB or AD.
- Why does a/SinA = b/SinB = c/SinC? [08/12/1997]
I was just playing aroung with a proof of a triangle and came across the
fact that a/SinA = b/SinB = c/SinC. Why?
- Why Radians? [12/03/1997]
Why use radians to measure angles over degrees?
- Why Use Radians instead of Degrees? [09/25/2001]
Consider Maclaurin's theorem, from which we derive the Taylor series...
- Will the Tree Hit the House? [05/18/1999]
A tree is leaning at 70 degrees, our house is 66 1/2 feet away, and the
angle from our house to the top of the tree is 40 degrees...
- X = TanX [03/21/2001]
Show that x = tanx has an infinite number of solutions.
Search the Dr. Math Library:
© 1994- The Math Forum at NCTM. All rights reserved.
Home || The Math Library || Quick Reference || Search || Help