Ask Dr. Math
Middle School Archive
Dr. Math Home ||
Middle School ||
High School ||
Dr. Math FAQ
3D and higher
See also the
Dr. Math FAQ:
3D and higher
Browse Middle School 3D and Higher Geometry
Stars indicate particularly interesting answers or
good places to begin browsing.
Selected answers to common questions:
Do cones or cylinders have edges?
- Spreading Mulch on a Garden [05/15/2000]
If there are 4 cubic yards of mulch in a yard, and the mulch is to be
laid 3 inches thick, how many square feet can you cover?
- Square Feet [4/13/1996]
I need to know how to compute square feet for some cabinets that I have
to move in a room.
- Surface Area and Volume: Cubes and Prisms [05/27/1998]
What is the definition of surface area and volume? What are the
differences and similarities between surface area and volume?
- Surface Area and Volume of Cylinders [05/25/2001]
How do you find the surface area and volume of a cylinder?
- Surface Area of a Box [03/06/2003]
How do you find the surface area of a box?
- Surface Area of a Cylinder [11/22/1997]
Is there any difference between the formula for an unrolled cylinder and
the regular surface area formula for a cylinder?
- Surface Area of an Egg [07/20/2002]
How do I find the surface area of an egg?
- Surface Area of a Rectangular Solid [09/21/1999]
Can you find the surface area of a cube or other 3D rectangular object by
calculating the area of the sides you can see and multiplying by 2?
- Surface Area of a Sphere [03/25/1999]
How do I calculate the surface area of a sphere?
- Surface Area of Blocks Glued Together [09/09/2001]
Three cubes whose edges are 2, 6, and 8 centimeters long are glued
together at their faces. Compute the minimum surface area possible for
the resulting figure.
- Surface Areas of Soap Bubbles [11/30/1999]
If you build a frame shaped like a tetrahedron and dip it in bubble
solution, why do all of the faces of the bubble collapse to a point in
the middle of the tetrahedron?
- Tesseracts and Hypercubes [05/22/1997]
Can you give me any good sources of information that a high school
geometry student would understand?
- Three-dimensional Counterparts for Two-dimensional Objects [03/04/1998]
Three-dimensional counterparts for lines, polygons, perpendicular lines,
and collinear lines.
- Three Holes Puzzle [05/02/2002]
A piece of plywood has three holes it it: a circular hole with a
diameter of 2 cm, a square hole with 2 cm sides, and a triangular hole
with a base and height of 2 cm. What object could completely plug AND
pass completely through each hole?
- A Three-Legged Stool [06/26/2001]
Why is a three-legged stool steady, while a four-legged stool can be
- Topology [05/10/1997]
What is topology? What is knot theory?
- Topology [03/19/2001]
What is topology?
- True and Magnetic North [04/08/2002]
How do you convert from true north to magnetic north?
- Units and Cylinder Volume [02/06/2003]
Find the volume and surface area of a cylindical storage tank with a
radius of 15 feet and a height of 30 feet.
- Volume and Pi [11/10/1997]
How do you find the volume of a cylinder that is 7.5mm high and has a
diameter of 4mm?
- Volume of a Cone [5/9/1996]
How much coffee can a tapered coffee pot hold?
- Volume of a Cylinder [7/30/1996]
What is the volume of the storage tank with a diameter 6m, height 5m?
- Volume of a Rectangular Solid [4/4/1996]
How do you calculate the lateral area, total area, and volume of a
rectangular solid with the following dimensions...
- Volume of a Sphere [05/19/2002]
Where does the (4/3) come from in the formula for the volume of a
- Volume of a Tube Converted to Gallons [08/01/1997]
I have a length of round pipe that is 4" in diameter and 10 feet long.
How many gallons of water will it hold if filled and sealed at both ends?
- Volume of Pyramid With Square Base [9/14/1996]
What is the volume of a pyramid with a a height of 20.6 meters and a
square base with sides of 35 meters?
- Volume vs. Capacity [05/01/2002]
Can you explain the difference between the terms volume and capacity?
Also mass and weight.
- Weight of a Whale [05/24/1999]
How do you find the weight of a whale?
- What is a Torus? [11/30/1999]
Is there a good way to describe a torus to a child?
- What is Geometry For? [03/01/2002]
What is geometry really for?
- What is the Volume of this Tank? [3/22/1995]
What is the volume of a tank 10 feet in diameter, 8 feet deep, with a 2
foot conical bottom?
- What Skew Lines Are and Aren't [01/14/2004]
A description of skew lines including diagrams and definitions.
- When Does 2D Become 3D? [01/20/2003]
Is a piece of paper a 3D object when held up in space? Or is it a 2D
object in 3D space?
- Why Cubed? [11/27/2001]
Why do we use "cubed" for the volume of a figure?
Search the Dr. Math Library:
© 1994- The Math Forum at NCTM. All rights reserved.
Home || The Math Library || Quick Reference || Search || Help