See also the
3D and higher
Browse Middle School Definitions
Stars indicate particularly interesting answers or
good places to begin browsing.
- Linear Footage [04/20/2002]
There is a fence I want to buy, but the ad says '4 foot tall, 50
linear feet. What is a linear foot compared to a regular foot?
- Linear Foot [7/1/1996]
How much is a linear foot?
- Line of Best Fit [8/1/1996]
Are a best-fit line, a line of best fit, and a fitted line synonymous?
- Lines of Symmetry [03/17/1997]
What are lines of symmetry?
- Line under Greater or Less Than Symbol [01/26/2001]
What does it mean when there is a line under the greater or less than
- Mass and Weight [08/16/1997]
Why are mass and weight both measured with the same unit? If weight is
different on the moon and mass is not, what is the difference?
- Mass versus Weight [09/09/99]
Do mass and weight refer to the same thing on earth? Is mass equal to
- Mass vs. Weight [01/22/1999]
Can you give me a definition of mass and how it differs from weight?
- Mathematical Induction [09/07/1998]
What is mathematical induction? Can you give an example of the ideas of
- Mathematical Meaning of Undefined [12/19/2002]
What is the meaning of the word 'undefined' in mathematical terms?
- Mathematical Models [07/17/2002]
What is a mathematical model, and how would it be used?
- Mathematics, Logic, and Intuition [05/27/2003]
How is math related to logic and intuition?
- Math Symbol for C [12/15/1997]
I am puzzled by one symbol of typing math. What does the upper case
letter C mean? As in (2C1) (3C1) / (47C2) = 6/1081.
- The Meaning of Locus [03/04/2003]
What is the locus of points equidistant from two parallel lines 8
- Meaning of Q.E.F. [8/20/1996]
What does Q.E.F. mean? I've seen it in Euclid's Elements along with
- The Meaning of Space [07/23/1997]
Is the term 'Space' a mathematical object? I have seen it in "Vector
Space," "Banach Space," and "Hilbert Space," but are they the same thing?
- Meaning of the Words Compass and Protractor [08/17/1999]
Why is a compass called a compass when it protracts and retracts, and why
is a protractor called a protractor when it is used to measure degrees?
- Meanings of Properties [07/23/1997]
What do Associative Property, Commutative Property, and Distributive
- Mean, Median, and Mode [07/15/1998]
Can you explain the three ways to represent a group - mean, median, and mode? I am having trouble understanding the mode.
- Mean, Median, Mode, Range [11/23/1997]
What are the definitions of mean, median, mode, and range?
- Means and Extremes of a Proportion [09/16/2004]
In the proportion a/b = c/d, why are the a and the d called the
extremes and the b and c called the means of the proportion?
- Measuring by Degrees [06/16/2002]
Why is it that angles and temperature are both measured in
- Median: Average of Two Points [8/24/1996]
What is the median in an even list of numbers?
- Median, Quartiles [1/09/1998]
Find the median and upper and lower quartiles: 22,18,9,26,14,15,6,19,28.
- Median: the Middle Term [9/14/1996]
What is the median?
- Megagram, Short Ton, Long Ton [03/12/2002]
How does a megagram compare to a a short ton or a long ton?
- Meters Squared vs. Square Meters [11/18/2001]
Is 12 m^2 better read as 12 square meters or 12 meters squared?
- Metres Squared and Square Metres [05/02/2003]
Are square metres and metres squared the same thing?
- Metric System Prefixes [09/17/1997]
My algebra teacher wrote the word teraflops on the board and told us to
find the meaning.
- Miles Squared vs. Square Miles [07/09/1999]
What is the difference between 10 square miles and 10 miles square?
- Mnemonic for Less Than and Greater Than [08/11/1999]
What was the old adage for telling how to read the less than and greater
than symbols correctly?
- Mode, Median, and Mean [08/23/1997]
Find a set of five data values with modes 0 and 2, median 2, and mean 2.
- Moebius Strips: How Many Sides and Surfaces? [10/18/2001]
What is the difference between a side and a surface?
- Multiplier, Sum, Difference, Product, Quotient, Dividend [11/25/1997]
What is a multiplier? an addend? a minuend? a product? Why is the number that is being divided the "dividend"?
- Name of Bar That Denotes a Repeating Decimal [08/30/2004]
What is the name of the bar that goes over a digit or group of digits
that signifies that the digit or group repeats?
- Name of Division Symbol [7/31/1996]
What is the official name for the division symbol?
- Name of Fraction Bar [7/5/1996]
What is the correct term for the line that separates the numerator and
denominator of a fraction?
- Names of Parts of a Cone [8/2/1996]
Are the components of a net of a cone called faces in all cases, or only
- Names of Polynomials [11/25/1997]
Are polynomials with higher degree than 5 named? What are they called?
- Naming Geometric and Arithmetic Progressions [04/04/2003]
Why is an exponential progression called 'geometric'? Why is a linear
progression called 'arithmetic'?