Ask Dr. Math
Middle School Archive
Dr. Math Home ||
Middle School ||
High School ||
Dr. Math FAQ
See also the
Dr. Math FAQ:
learning to factor
3D and higher
Browse Middle School Factoring Expressions
Stars indicate particularly interesting answers or
good places to begin browsing.
Factoring just numbers?
Try Middle School Factoring Numbers.
- Dividing with Algebra [3/25/1996]
I need help factoring and reducing this problem: (3x-9)/(2x-6)=? and
- Explaining Algebra Concepts and FOIL [08/04/1998]
Some ideas for learning algebra that may help prevent frustration.
- Factoring Examples [12/16/1996]
How do you factor x(x+1)(x-4) + 4(x+1)? (and other similar examples).
- Factoring Polynomials [11/07/2001]
Factoring polynomials like 12x^3y^9 + 20x^5y^4.
- Factoring Polynomials [11/16/1994]
I need an easy method for understanding factoring polynomials, especially
with exponents, and also quadratic equations.
- Factoring Quadratics Without Guessing [05/28/2002]
When factoring quadratic equations, do you always have to use guess
and check, or is there another way to do it?
- Factoring Rules [6/28/1996]
Is there a clear set of factoring rules or procedures?
- How to Factor [7/25/1996]
I have forgotten how to factor - could you give me an example and an
- Solving for X [5/14/1996]
Please show me each step to solving X in the equation X^2 - 7X + 10 = 0.
- Solving Quadratic Equations [2/15/1996]
A student asks for help in solving quadratic equations by factoring.
- Two Methods of Factoring Quadratics [04/14/1998]
Could you describe how to factor quadratic trinomials?
- What is Factoring? [01/17/1998]
How do you factor x^2 + 5x + 4 ?
- Algebra: Factoring Fractions [07/30/1997]
Question: 8ab/4a2-b2 divided by 16b2/8a2-4ab.
- Are Binomial Factors Unique? [04/22/2003]
Let's say I factor x^2 - 5x + 6 into (x-2)(x-3). Is it possible that
it could be factored another way as well, using numbers other than 2
- Cancelling Algebraic Fractions [11/11/2002]
I don't understand how to cancel algebraic fractions.
- Completing the Square: How Does it Work? [01/20/1999]
Can you explain why completing the square works? How exactly do you do
- Difference between Two Cubes [11/09/2001]
Factoring a^3 - b^3.
- Difference of Squares of Two Integers [7/2/1996]
Which positive integers can be written as the difference of the squares
of two integers?
- Difference of Two Squares [09/04/2002]
I understand how to get the difference of two squares but how would
you get the equation when you have the answer?
- The Discriminant of Quadratic Equations [08/06/1998]
Can you explain more about the discriminant, b^2 - 4ac? Why is it
sometimes represented by a triangle (delta)?
- Equations and Factoring [2/5/1996]
Solve. Identify all double roots: 2(r^2 + 1)=5r
- Factor 6x^2 + 12x [06/23/2003]
Factoring as finding things in common.
- Factor and Multiply to Check [5/21/1996]
Is x to the second power plus 6x plus 5 factorable?
- Factor and Simplify [4/10/1996]
How would you simplify the following problem? (1/x^2-
- Factor for X; Consecutive Odd Integers [01/19/1998]
(x-2)(x+3) = 6 : solve by factoring for x. Label your variables, write an
equation, solve, label answers...
- Factoring [12/03/2001]
This problem is giving me a hard time: 6x^2 + 31x + 5.
- Factoring [9/5/1995]
How do I solve x^2+x-12 = 0?
- Factoring 5x^2 + 2x -1 [01/22/2001]
I can't figure out how to factor this: 5x^2 + 2x -1. The best I can do
is: (5x+1)^2 + 2(x-1).
- Factoring 8 - t^3 [01/07/1998]
Factor the given expression completely: 8 - t^3.
- Factoring a Difference of Squares with Terms That Are Not Monomials [10/26/2008]
How can I factor something like (3x + 2)^2 - (x - 4)^2 using the
formula for a difference of squares? I'm confused because the
expressions being squared are not monomials.
- Factoring a Fifth-Degree Polynomial [08/15/2002]
Simplify: x^5+x^4-4x^3-4x^2 over x^5+4x^4+4x^3.
- Factoring Algebraic Expressions [6/15/1996]
Factor (xy+1)(x+1)(y+1)+xy and ...
- Factoring and the Factor Theorem [09/28/1998]
I need help factoring x^3 - x^2 + x - 2 = 4.
- Factoring an Equation [11/13/1995]
From 7y^3 + 14y^2 - 7y, I can factor out the 7y to get 7y(y^2 + 7y - 1).
Can I factor any further?
- Factoring an Equation [3/11/1996]
If you have the equation: x^2 * 2x+3 = 0, how do you factor it?
- Factoring an Expression [8/5/1996]
How can I factor x^10+x+1?
- Factoring another Equation [11/14/1995]
40y squared + yz - 6z squared?
- Factoring a Quadratic Equation [05/13/1998]
Using prime factorization and FOIL method to solve y^2 + 2y - 35 = 0.
- Factoring a Quadratic with Fractions [10/08/1999]
How can I factor x^2 + (1/2)x + (1/16)?
- Factoring a Sum of Squares [10/15/2005]
I do not understand why you cannot factor a sum of two squares, but
you can factor a perfect square trinomial.
Search the Dr. Math Library:
© 1994-2013 Drexel University. All rights reserved.
Home || The Math Library || Quick Reference || Search || Help
The Math Forum is a research and educational enterprise of the Drexel University School of Education.