3D and higher
Browse Middle School Graphing Equations
Stars indicate particularly interesting answers or
good places to begin browsing.
Selected answers to common questions:
Direct and indirect variation.
Slope, slope-intercept, standard form.
- Equation of a Line Parallel to an Axis [06/19/2003]
How can I get the equation of a line if the line passes through a
point and is parallel to the x- or y-axis?
- Equations of a Line given Two Points [8/31/1996]
How do you find the equation of a line going through two points if you
only know the two points?
- Geometric Objects and Properties using Algebra [06/29/1998]
Why does y = mx+b, and what does it mean?
- Graphing a Parabola [12/15/1994]
How do I graph a parabola (without a calculator)?
- Graphing Coordinates [1/15/1997]
How can you tell if you have a straight line just by looking at the
- Line of Best Fit [07/08/2003]
I am looking for help in how to manually find the slope and intercept
of this problem.
- Nomographs [06/12/2003]
What are nomographs used for? How does one use them? Are they still in
use? and last but not least, How are they constructed?
- No Solution, Infinite Solutions [01/03/2002]
Solve: 8(2x-3) = 4(4x-8); -3(x-3) is greater than or equal to 5-3x.
- Please graph and send the solution for: [5/23/1995]
(x^2 + y^2)/2 = 0
- Slope Angle [06/17/2003]
What units do we use to refer to slope?
- Undefined Slope and Zero Slope [04/11/1997]
What is the difference between an undefined slope and a slope of zero?
- Absolute Value Graphs [11/16/2002]
Graphing inequalities: finding an equation, graphing it, and finding
- Changing Equations To Slope-Intercept Form [07/17/1998]
Can you explain how to change equations into slope-intercept form? For
example, 12(2x-1) - 5(3y+2) = 8?
- Deriving the Quadratic Formula [10/15/1998]
How do you derive the quadratic formula from ax^2 + bx + c = 0?
- Direct and Indirect Variation [07/09/1998]
Can you explain the difference between direct and indirect variation? How
would you interpret them in a word problem?
- Drawing a Line, Given the Slope and One Point [05/23/2002]
How do I draw a line on a graph when I know the slope and the
location of only one point on the line?
- Drawing Equations on the Number Line [05/09/2002]
How can I draw an equation like 2 - (-5) = 7 on a number line?
- Finding the Equation of a Line [01/08/1997]
Given either a point and a slope or two points, how do you find the
equation of a line in both point-slope and standard form?
- Finding the Equation of a Line [2/2/1996]
Find the value of k and m if the straight line y = kx + m passes through
the point (-2,5) and has a gradient of 4.
- Finding the Table's Diameter [05/05/2001]
A circular table is pushed into the corner of a room so that it touches
both walls. On the edge of the table is a scratch 8" from one wall and 9"
from the other wall. What is the diameter of the table?
- Finding y-intercepts [6/12/1996]
I'm having a problem with finding and graphing y-intercepts of linear
- Graphing Inequalities [10/16/1998]
Could you explain to me how to graph inequalities that use variables,
such as x < 2? Where do you shade? Is the line dotted or solid?
- Graphing Inequalities [06/05/2003]
How do you graph y + 4x is less than 20 ?
- Graphing Intercepts [11/06/1997]
How would I find the intercept for a problem such as 3x-2y = 12?
- Graphing Linear Equations [12/26/2001]
Give the intercepts of 7x - 2y = 2.
- Graphing Systems of Equations [06/01/1998]
How do you solve this system of equations by graphing: 3x + 2y = 5 and -
3x - 2y = 10?
- Graphing without the Y [01/28/2004]
I'm trying to graph the inequality x > -5, but without a y, how can I
- Graphing y = mx + b [01/20/1997]
After you get 3 x+ 2y = 5 into y = mx + b form, how do you graph it?
- Height and Weight [10/30/1996]
How do you find a formula that predicts a person's weight when all you
know is his/her height?
- How to Draw Linear Equations [06/07/1999]
How would I draw the line y = (2/3)x + 5?
- Inequalities on a Number Line [05/07/2003]
How do you graph inequalities on a number line?
- Infinity and Inequalities [06/05/2002]
I'm supposed to use positive and negative infinity to solve problems
like 2x - 3 < 7.
- Intercept Equation [10/07/1998]
I found a plane using the intercepts (4,0,0), (0,-5,0), and (0,0,3). Now
I want an equation for those points using Ax + By + Cz = D.
- Introduction to Quadrants in the Coordinate Plane [02/05/2004]
What is a quadrant? How do you find it? I had to identify 9 ordered
pairs on a graph. Now I need to also name the quadrant each one is in.
- Is It Really Possible to Draw a Graph? [02/01/2007]
Since graphs are collections of points, and points have no dimensions
(depth, length, height), we can't really draw a graph. All we can do
is make a "representative graph". Is that right?
- Line of Best Fit [8/1/1996]
Are a best-fit line, a line of best fit, and a fitted line synonymous?
- Multiplying or Dividing by a Negative Number [04/08/1999]
When x(x-4) is less than 0...
- Non-parallel Glide Reflections [10/21/1998]
A glide reflection consists of a line reflection and a translation
parallel to the reflection. What if the translation is not parallel to
- Order of Quadrant Numbers [10/21/2002]
Why are quadrants numbered that way?
- Plotting Points in the Coordinate Plane [01/16/2004]
What is the coordinate plane and how do I plot points like (4,2) on it?