terms and units
See also the
terms & units
3D and higher
Browse Middle School Terms/Units of Measurement
Stars indicate particularly interesting answers or
good places to begin browsing.
Selected answers to common questions:
Equivalent measurements: tsp, oz, pt, lb.
Measuring with Two Containers.
Meters Squared or Square Meters?
Unit conversions, unit cancellation.
- 4- and 9-liter Pails: How to Measure 7 Liters [05/07/2002]
How can you measure 7 liters using only 4-liter and 9-liter pails? A
strategy for solving this kind of problem.
- Administering Insulin [07/09/2003]
If a doctor prescribes 30 units of insulin in 500 ml to be
administered over 2 hours, how many drops per minute should be
administered if the set is calibrated to deliver 20 drops per ml?
- Equations from Word Problems, and Units [05/19/2003]
In 2 1/4 hours the temperature dropped 13 1/9 degrees. How many
degrees did the temperature drop per hour? How do I convert this
from words into an equation?
- Finding Areas using Unit Conversions [3/19/1996]
How do you calculate area, expressed in English units? For example: how
do you calculate the area of a rectangle, where one side is, say, 2
miles, 3 furlongs, 4 yards, 2 feet and 5 inches...?
- Inches, Feet, Yards, Miles, and Unit Fractions [01/29/2002]
I need to know if you multiply or divide in changing feet to inches, feet
to yards, miles to yards, feet to miles, yards to miles, yards to feet.
- Measurement: Precision vs. Accuracy [01/07/2003]
Using a metric ruler student A measured the length of an object to
the nearest tenth (0.1) of a centimeter, while student D measured its
length to the nearest centimeter. Which measurement is more accurate?
- Meters Squared vs. Square Meters [11/18/2001]
Is 12 m^2 better read as 12 square meters or 12 meters squared?
- Metric Conversion Chart [07/17/1997]
Do you know of a conversion chart I can use to convert from metric to
customary and vice versa?
- Metric Unit Conversions [08/21/2001]
How do you know when you should multiply or divide in these conversions?
- Millimeters, Inches, Feet, Miles [07/10/2003]
The conversions given for millimeters to inches is 25.4, and for feet
to miles is 5280. Are these numbers exact?
- Rounding 389.512 to Three Significant Digits [05/24/2003]
On the one hand, 390 is the closest multiple of 10 to 389.512; on the
other hand, it is the closest whole number to 389.512.
- Time, Speed, Distance, and Unit Conversion [7/30/1996]
If a car moves at 44 mph for 50 minutes, how many kilometers does it
- Volume to be Infused by Drip Factor [07/02/2003]
A patient is to receive 1440 milliliters of fluid in 24 hours. The
drip factor is 15 drops per milliliter. How many drops per minute
should the patient receive?
- What is Dimensional Analysis? [11/26/2001]
What is dimensional analysis and how does it work?
- The Abbreviation for Pound [2/14/1996]
I was wondering why the abbreviation of pound is lb.
- Abbreviation of Ounce [04/27/2002]
Why is the abbreviation for ounce oz.?
- About Measurements and Unit Conversion [02/03/2002]
I don't understand measurements.
- Absolute Degrees in Terms of One Circle Revolution [05/02/2002]
I have an angle of -6 degrees which I need to express in terms of a
single 0-360 revolution.
- Acceleration Formula and Squared Units [01/24/2005]
Why is the answer for acceleration written in square units, like feet
per second squared?
- Adding and Subtracting Measurements [08/13/1998]
How do you add and subtract measurements like 4'7" + 2'10" and 11'6" -
- Angles Greater than 360 Degrees [01/01/1999]
We know the definitions of acute, obtuse, and reflex angles, but we were
debating what kind of angle a 425 degree angle is.
- Area Larger Than Perimeter? [04/15/2002]
Can the area of a shape be larger than the perimeter?
- Are Angles Dimensionless? [08/31/2003]
If you look at the dimensions in the equation arc length = r*theta, it
appears that angles must be dimensionless. But this can't be right.
Or can it?
- Area of a Circle with Radius less than 1 [02/18/2002]
If the radius is less than 1 it just gets smaller and you get a smaller
- Bits, Bytes [04/28/2003]
A Web page of 10 megabytes is being retrieved from a Web server. What
is the time to transfer the page over a modem operating at 28.8kbps?
- Bits (Money) [02/26/2001]
In the cheer: Two bits, four bits, six bits, a dollar; All for (school),
Stand up and holler! what are bits?
- British Thermal Units [7/8/1996]
What is the formula for converting BTU (British Thermal Units)?
- Capitalizing Unit Abbreviations [09/15/2003]
Why do we use a lowercase m to abbreviate meters, but an uppercase L
to abbreviate liters?
- Centimeters in a Hand [02/27/2002]
You measure horses in "hands." I need to know how many centimeters are in
- Choosing Appropriate Units [10/09/2003]
How do you choose appropriate units for a measurement?
- Circle Area and Square Units [11/12/1997]
Is pi metres squared the same as 10,000 pi centimetres squared? Does a
square with sides of 10m have an area of 10m squared or 100 square metres
- or are these the same?
- Coin Specifications [09/24/2001]
Approximately how many nickels does it take to make a pound? How many dimes? Pennies?
- Comparing Metric Measurements [09/22/2005]
Which is heavier, 900g or 1 kg? How do I compare metric measurements?
- Comparing Very Large Numbers--Which Is Bigger? [12/01/2004]
How do you decide which large number is greater? For instance, how do
you know whether 9!^(9!^9) is greater than 10^(10!^10)?
- Convert Degrees to Radians [7/21/1996]
How do you convert degrees to radians, and vice versa?
- Converting Areas: Square Feet to Square Inches [03/18/1997]
How many square inches are in ten square feet?
- Converting Between Cubic Feet and Cubic Yards [05/09/2002]
How can I figure out how many cubic feet are in a cubic yard?
- Converting Bits to Megabytes [02/12/2001]
The human brain will store 100 trillion bits in its lifetime. How many
million megabytes can your brain store?
- Converting Cubic Centimeters [04/27/1999]
How do I convert cc's to milliliters?
- Converting English Stones into Pounds [9/27/1995]
Could you please tell me what 13 stones (English weight measurement)
equates to in pounds?