terms and units
See also the
terms & units
3D and higher
Browse Middle School Terms/Units of Measurement
Stars indicate particularly interesting answers or
good places to begin browsing.
Selected answers to common questions:
Equivalent measurements: tsp, oz, pt, lb.
Measuring with Two Containers.
Meters Squared or Square Meters?
Unit conversions, unit cancellation.
- Megagram, Short Ton, Long Ton [03/12/2002]
How does a megagram compare to a a short ton or a long ton?
- Mensuration [5/16/1996]
How far can a car travel with a full tank of petrol? What's the height of
- Meters, Centimeters [03/12/2001]
How many times as long as 2 centimeters is a meter stick?
- Metres Squared and Square Metres [05/02/2003]
Are square metres and metres squared the same thing?
- Metric and Standard Rulers [04/20/2001]
In the United States we only use a customary (standard) ruler, and in
other parts of the world they use the metric side. Why do we just use the
- Metric and Unit Conversions [11/02/1998]
How many feet/second is 60 miles/hour?
- Metric Conversion [10/23/1996]
How many meters is 67 centimeters equal to?
- Metric Conversions [01/16/1997]
How do I convert cubic yards to cubic meters?
- Metric Cup [05/15/2000]
How many milliliters are there in a metric cup?
- Metric Prefixes [9/15/1996]
What are the metric prefixes for 10e4, 10e5, 10e7, 10e8 and the
corresponding neg. values?
- Metric System Conversions [09/24/1998]
I need help with double conversions - for example, how many centimeters
are there in 14.25 decameters?
- Metric System Prefixes [09/17/1997]
My algebra teacher wrote the word teraflops on the board and told us to
find the meaning.
- Metric vs. Standard System [08/19/2001]
Compare and contrast the advantages and disadvantages of the metric
system and the standard system using weights and measures.
- Miles Squared vs. Square Miles [07/09/1999]
What is the difference between 10 square miles and 10 miles square?
- Motion and Force [11/28/2004]
You are a 50 pound person riding in a bus going 45 MPH, when the
driver suddenly stops. If you were to 'fly' out of your seat, with
how many pounds of force would you hit the windshield?
- Nanograms per Gram [06/08/2001]
In units that say '2 ng g-1' (the (-1) is an exponent), what is the
relation between 'ng' and 'g', and what does the "-1" exponent mean?
- Nautical Mph/Knots [08/12/2003]
I want to know how fast the wind is blowing when the weather report
states 5 knots.
- Non-Metric Countries [04/23/2001]
What countries other than the U.S. are not using the metric system, and
- Numbers in Hindi and Urdu [12/08/2000]
How many crores make one billion?
- One Degree Latitude, Longitude: How Many Miles? [04/02/2002]
Approximately how many miles are there in one degree of longitude and one
degree of latitude in the states of Kansas and Oklahoma?
- Operations on Measurement Units [08/21/1998]
Why can we divide distance by time, but not add distance to time?
- Origin of the Term Acre [03/10/2002]
What is the origin of the measurement acre?
- Origin of the Word 'Yard' [9/12/1996]
Why do they call a yard, a yard? Where does this word originate?
- Paint Formulas in Base 48 [08/20/1998]
I work for a paint store where our formulas are based on an ounce being
- Parsec (pc) [10/26/2001]
One of the unit conversions my Casio fx-991MS calculator does is pc to km
and km to pc. What does "pc" mean in this context?
- A Peck of Peppers [02/27/2002]
If Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers, how many pickled peppers
did Peter Piper pick? How much is a peck?
- Pennies in a Mile [04/23/1999]
How many pennies are there in a mile?
- pH Definition [10/20/2001]
What is the 'p' in pH?
- The Pound Sign [04/06/2001]
Can the # symbol be used to represent the weight unit 'pounds'?
- Prefix for 10^30 Bytes [05/25/2000]
What do you call 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 or 10^30
- Pricing Products by Linear Foot or Square Foot [06/29/2005]
What is the difference between linear foot and square footage? I have
received two prices for an item: $1.67 per square foot or $19.67 per
linear foot. Why are they so different?
- Problems on Rates and Unit Conversions [06/21/1999]
Can you help me with problems on rates and unit conversions?
- Proper Abbreviation of Measurement Units [03/04/2004]
Is a period used after the abbreviations for the customary units of
measurement? In the past, I understood that all abbreviations used a
period. Now, I typically see inch as in., but ofter see foot (ft),
yard (yd), and others with no period.
- Quarts in a Gallon [03/20/2001]
Is there a way not to have to memorize a whole chart of unit conversions?
- Radians [03/22/2001]
I have searched everywhere for the history behind radians. Why did they
- Radians [9/2/1996]
Why do pi radians = 180 degrees?
- Radians and Degrees [11/21/1994]
Why are radians preferable to degree measures?
- Radian to Degree Conversions [11/11/2001]
Can you give me a table of radian measures and their reference degree
measures for the unit circle?
- Reciprocal Rate [11/28/2001]
An automobile gets 20 miles per gallon of fuel. Compute the reciprocal
rate giving units of measurement.
- Rods and Links [03/28/2002]
How many rods are there in a foot? How many links?