Ask Dr. Math
Middle School Archive
Dr. Math Home ||
Middle School ||
High School ||
Dr. Math FAQ
terms and units
See also the
terms & units
3D and higher
Browse Middle School Terms/Units of Measurement
Stars indicate particularly interesting answers or
good places to begin browsing.
Selected answers to common questions:
Equivalent measurements: tsp, oz, pt, lb.
Measuring with Two Containers.
Meters Squared or Square Meters?
Unit conversions, unit cancellation.
- Rules for Significant Figures and Decimal Places [03/23/1999]
Accurate measurement: What are significant digits? When do we use them?
- Slope Angle [06/17/2003]
What units do we use to refer to slope?
- Speed of a Knot [06/10/1999]
How fast is a knot?
- Speed of Light [06/08/2001]
What's m s^-1? Why isn't it just m/s (meters per second) instead? What's
the little "-1" at the end?
- Square Centimeters and Centimeters Squared [07/09/2004]
If it's pronounced '1 square centimeter' why is it abbreviated 1 cm^2?
Why don't they just say 1^s cm? The ^s would stand for square and it
would be much easier to understand.
- Square Feet [4/13/1996]
I need to know how to compute square feet for some cabinets that I have
to move in a room.
- Square Foot Shape Symbol [02/04/2002]
I am looking for a symbol for square foot.
- Statute Miles and Nautical Miles [5/11/1996]
What's the difference between statute miles and nautical miles, and why
do they use statute miles for space shuttle launches?
- Teaching about Bearings [06/08/2000]
What are bearings? Do you have any ideas on how I can present bearings to
my math class in an interesting fashion?
- Teaching Fractions of an Inch [7/9/1996]
Do you have any suggestions on how to best teach the "inch"?
- Teaching the Metric System [08/18/2000]
How can I teach my second grader about the metric system? I have no idea
how to read a metric ruler or how to convert inches into the metric
system or vice versa.
- True and Magnetic North [04/08/2002]
How do you convert from true north to magnetic north?
- Unit Conversions [11/16/1995]
Dr. Math offers a good tip for most unit conversions.
- Unit Conversions [04/23/1997]
Where can I find a listing of unit conversions?
- Unit Conversions [11/15/1997]
How many cups are in 4 liters?
- Unit Conversions - Metric System [7/8/1996]
Convert: 3.25 cm to millimeters, 9.24 km to meters, 1,000 mi to
- Units and Square Units in Measuring Perimeter and Area [01/02/2005]
Why is perimeter measured in units and area measured in square units?
- Units of Capacity and Weight [04/24/2002]
How many quarts of water would weigh 1,432 pounds?
- Visualizing the Metric System [08/02/1997]
What are some common things that could be used to approximate lengths for
a visual picture of the different lengths in the metric system?
- Volume of a Tube Converted to Gallons [08/01/1997]
I have a length of round pipe that is 4" in diameter and 10 feet long.
How many gallons of water will it hold if filled and sealed at both ends?
- Weighing Bubble Gum [01/30/1998]
What measurement would I use for the weight of a bubble gum stick?
- Weight of a Gallon of Water [07/29/1999]
How much does a gallon of water weigh?
- Weight of a Whale [05/24/1999]
How do you find the weight of a whale?
- What are Flops? [02/25/2001]
What are flops, as relating to computers?
- What is a Cubit? [03/31/2002]
The Bible says that Moses was 9 cubits tall and Pharaoh was 1 cubit tall.
What is that in today's inches or feet?
- What is a Newton? [04/28/2002]
What is the weight in newtons of a 100-kg person?
- What is a Pace? [02/28/2002]
What is the difference between a "pace" and the standard unit of
- What is a Stone? [11/11/2001]
Can you tell me what a stone in English measurement is equal to in
- What is a Terabyte? [03/24/2002]
What is a terabyte? I know a gigabyte is one billon bytes.
- What is Denary? [06/07/1999]
Could you please give me two examples of denary?
- What is the Difference between a Metric and a Standard Ton? [3/28/1995]
A student has a question about units of weight.
- Why 6.28 Radians? [10/07/1998]
Why is a circle divided into approximately 6.28 radians?
- Why Is a Circle 360 Degrees? [07/01/1998]
Why is a circle defined as 360 degrees?
- Why Isn't a Kilobyte 1,000 Bytes? [03/29/2001]
If the prefix kilo- means 1000, why is a kilobyte 1024 bytes instead of
- Why Is 'Pound' Abbreviated 'lb'? [03/08/2004]
Why is "pound" abbreviated lb? Is it because of its Latin roots? I know libra means pound. What is the history of it?
- Word for a 225th Birthday [07/10/2001]
This year America is celebrating its 225th birthday. As we celebrated the
bicentennial in 1976, is there a term for 225 years?
- Writing 'Square Foot' [05/05/2001]
Is there a symbol for "square foot"?
- Young's Formula [08/21/1999]
Calculating a child's dose of medicine based on the adult dose.
Search the Dr. Math Library:
© 1994- The Math Forum at NCTM. All rights reserved.
Home || The Math Library || Quick Reference || Search || Help