Ask Dr. Math
Middle School Archive
Dr. Math Home ||
Middle School ||
High School ||
Dr. Math FAQ
See also the
3D and higher
Browse Middle School Statistics
Stars indicate particularly interesting answers or
good places to begin browsing.
Selected answers to common questions:
Graphs: bar graph, histogram, pictogram.
Mean, median, mode, range.
- What Does Average Mean? [12/05/2001]
Can someone explain what average is? For example what is the average
rainfall in New York? I understand the formula needed to find the
average, but what is the meaning of average?
- What Does "Mean" Mean? [4/14/1995]
Can the terms average and mean be used interchangeably?
- What is a Median? [03/03/1998]
A definition of median, and four examples of calculating medians.
- What is the Meaning of "Average"? [03/28/2007]
An interesting conversation that defines the general concepts of
average and central tendency, and looks at the usefulness of such
measures both in representing the data and for making predictions
about future events.
- When Percentage Calculations are Inappropriate [02/11/2003]
How do I best calculate the percentage of goal when at least one of
the numbers is a negative number?
- Which is the Best Description? [03/25/2001]
Which best describes the number of times "Popular Song" was played on the
radio per day: the range, the median, the mode, or the mean?
- Why Learn about Probability and Statistics? [04/17/2002]
Why is probability so important to learn? When will we use it in the
- Why Take Averages in Experiments? [05/04/2003]
I have to measure the time it takes from when I release a toy car
until it reaches the bottom of a 6-foot ramp.
Search the Dr. Math Library:
© 1994- The Math Forum at NCTM. All rights reserved.
Home || The Math Library || Quick Reference || Search || Help