Ask Dr. Math
What Color Is My Hat?
Dr. Math Home ||
Middle School ||
High School ||
Dr. Math FAQ
- What Color Is My Hat?,
a selection of answers from the Dr. Math archives.
- What Color Hat am I Wearing?
- Three students close their eyes, and the teacher puts a hat on each of
their heads (hiding the other two hats)...
- Red Hat, Blue Hat
- A teacher puts one hat on each of three students' heads and then
discards the remaining two hats so they cannot be seen. Then the first
child is told he can look at the other two children and from the color
of their hats, he can guess what color he is wearing...
- Red and Blue Hats
- Alan, Ben, and Cal are seated, with their eyes closed. Three hats are
placed on their heads from a box that contains three red and two blue hats...
- Probability and the Prisoner Problem
- Each of 16 prisoners receives a hat that is either red or blue (the colour
is selected randomly; each has a 1/2 probability). All the prisoners must
simultaneously either try to guess the colour of their hats, or pass.
- Gnomes and Hats
- Ten gnomes in the dungeon of a castle of a tyrannical king
are given a chance of survival...
Middle School Puzzles
High School Puzzles
Index of Selected Answers to Common Questions
© 1994-2013 Drexel University. All rights reserved.
Home || The Math Library || Quick Reference || Search || Help
The Math Forum is a research and educational enterprise of the Drexel University School of Education.