Ask Dr. Math
Dr. Math Home ||
Middle School ||
High School ||
Dr. Math FAQ
- Heron's Formula,
a selection of answers from the Dr. Math archives.
- Who was Hero (or Heron)?
- I have been trying to find information on the Greek mathematician
- Heron's Formula
- How can I find the area of an isosceles triangle, an equilateral
triangle, a scalene triangle, an obtuse-angle triangle and an acute-angle
triangle without the height being given?
- Proof of Hero's formula
- Could you tell me where to find a proof of Hero's formula or help
on how to derive it?
- Geometric Proof of Heron's Formula
- How can I prove Hero(n)'s formula using a circle with center P and
radius R inscribed in triangle ABC?
- Incircles Tangent to a Common Line
- In triangle ABC, the incircle touches side AB at M. T is an arbitrary
point on BC. How can I show that the incircles of triangles BMT, AMT and ATC
are all tangent to a common line?
- Proof of Heron's Area Formula
- I need to write a proof of Heron's Area Formula.
- Derivations of Heron's Formula
- How is Heron's formula (Hero's formula) derived?
- Using Heron's Formula
- Triangle Altitude and Area
- Using Heron's formula to find the altitude of a triangle whose
dimensions are given.
- Find the Smallest Triangle
- A triangle has sides whose lengths are consecutive integers. Its area
is a multiple of 20. Find the smallest triangle that satisfies these
- The Area of Triangles using Hero's
- If a person gave three dimensions of a triangle (in feet) and noted the
base dimension, without knowing the angles because the other two lines would
have to intersect someplace, is there a formula that could calculate the area?
- Area of a Lawn
- I have two areas of lawn that I want to sod with new grass and
don't know how much sod to buy.
- Area of Inscribed Circle
- Find the area of the circle inscribed in a triangle ABC using
- Area of Triangles When Altitudes
- Find the area of a triangle when the lengths of the three altitudes
- Congruent Triangles
- If two triangles have the same area and the same perimeter,
must they be congruent?
- Heron's Formula, Cartesian
- If a triangle has sides 5, 6, and the square root of thirteen,
what is the area of the triangle?
- Distance to an Object
- Is there an easy way to measure the distance from a baseline to an
object if one knows the measurement of the baseline and both angles
leading toward the object?
- Square with same Perimeter and
Area as a Triangle
- I've been hunting for a square/triangle combination with the same
perimeter and area. Is this possible?
High School Triangles and Other Polygons
Index of Selected Answers to Common Questions
© 1994-2013 Drexel University. All rights reserved.
Home || The Math Library || Quick Reference || Search || Help
The Math Forum is a research and educational enterprise of the Drexel University School of Education.