Ask Dr. Math
Medicine and Mathematics
Dr. Math Home ||
Middle School ||
High School ||
Dr. Math FAQ
- Medicine and Mathematics,
a selection of answers from the Dr. Math archives.
- Doctors and Math
- How do doctors use math?
- Volume to be Infused by
- A patient is to receive 1440 milliliters of fluid in 24 hours.
The drip factor is 15 drops per milliliter. How many drops per minute
should the patient receive?
- Administering Insulin
- If a doctor prescribes 30 units of insulin in 500 ml to be administered
over 2 hours, how many drops per minute should be administered if the
set is calibrated to deliver 20 drops per ml?
- Lung Cancer and Smoking
- Medical researchers know that the probability of getting lung
cancer if a person smokes is .34. The probability that a nonsmoker
will get lung cancer is .03. If 11% of the population smokes, what
is the probability that a person with lung cancer will have been a
- Probability and Genetics
- Huntington's Disease
- I am doing a math paper on Huntington's Disease. What does
probability have to do with genetics?
- Probability of Infection
- How many of six hermits can be expected, on average, to get a
disease, assuming the disease is transmitted until an infectious
hermit visits an immune hermit, and assuming one hermit visit per
- Test for Tuberculosis
- A test for tuberculosis was given to 1000 subjects, 8 percent of whom
were known to have tuberculosis... what is the probability of a
randomly selected person having tuberculosis...?
- Calculating Breast Cancer Survival Rates
- Survival of a group of breast cancer patients is 100 at year 0,
100*X at year 1, 100*X*X at year 2, 100*X*X*X at year three and so on
to year 10. How do I find the nth year survival?
- Counting Bacteria with Calculus
- The number of bacteria in a culture increases from 3000 to 9000
in 8 hours. If the rate of increase is proportional to the number
present, estimate the number of bacteria at the end of 24 hours.
- and visit Mathematics Awareness Month 2002, Mathematics and the Genome,
with theme essays:
- Mathematics and the Genome
- Microarrays, Mathematics, and Medicine
- and Mathematics Awareness Week 1994:
- Mathematics and Medicine - Math Forum
- Theme essay
- For information about how math is used in technology, in particular
environmental health and occupational health, see:
- Exactly How Is Math
Used In Technology? - Mathematics Department of the British Columbia
Institute of Technology
- and see:
Reasoning by Nurses - Annie and John Selden
Middle School About Mathematics
High School About Mathematics
Index of Selected Answers to Common Questions
© 1994-2013 Drexel University. All rights reserved.
Home || The Math Library || Quick Reference || Search || Help
The Math Forum is a research and educational enterprise of the Drexel University School of Education.