- Place Value Questions,
a selection of answers from the Dr. Math archives.
- Place Value - Units Digit
- What is the units digit of 6100?
- Writing Decimals from Words
- Given a decimal written in words, how do you turn it into a decimal?
In other words, how do you turn the words into numbers?
- Writing Numbers in Words
- Write each number in words: 1) 73.78007 2) 2.900087 (3) 34.4939.
- Zeros after the Decimal Point
- My students can't comprehend my explanation of how 3.70 is equivalent
to 3.7 or 3.700 or 3.7000.
- Which Place?
- In which place is the digit 6 in the number 3164297 ?
- Place Value Chart
0.000000001 one billionth
0.00000001 one hundred-millionth
0.0000001 one ten-millionth
0.000001 one millionth
0.00001 one hundred-thousandth
0.0001 one ten-thousandth
0.001 one thousandth
0.01 one hundredth (1 in the hundredths place)
0.1 one tenth (1 in the tenths place)
1 one (1 in the ones or units place)
10 ten (1 in the tens place)
100 one hundred (1 in the hundreds place)
1,000 one thousand (1 in the thousands place)
10,000 ten thousand
100,000 one hundred thousand
1,000,000 one million
10,000,000 ten million
100,000,000 one hundred million
1,000,000,000 one billion
10,000,000,000 ten billion
100,000,000,000 one hundred billion
1,000,000,000,000 one trillion...
- For names of larger numbers, see:
- How Many?
A Dictionary of Units of Measurement - Russ Rowlett
Numbers - Robert Munafo
- And for the words with which we write numbers of all sizes, see:
- Number Words
Index: Numbers and Associated English Language Words, Phrases, Prefixes,
Suffixes, and Symbols - Intergalactic Power & Light