Ask Dr. Math
Dr. Math Home ||
Middle School ||
High School ||
Dr. Math FAQ
- Tournament Scheduling,
a selection of answers from the Dr. Math archives.
- Round Robin Tournament Schedule
- Is there a systematic way to come up with a schedule for a round
robin tournament for up to 32 teams, where each team plays every other
- Hockey League Tournament Schedule
- Can you help me construct a schedule for a round robin style
junior hockey tournament with two divisions (one of 6 teams, one of 10),
using only four fields?
- How Many Games in the Tournament?
- There are eight teams in a single-elimination tournament. Each team
gets to play until it loses. How many games will be played in the
- Darts Tournament with Eight
- There are eight players in a darts tournament. Each player plays
one game against each of the other players. How many dart games will
be played in the tournament?
- Determining the Winner of a
- How many matches will it take to determine the champion in a tennis
tournament that started with 89 players?
- How Many Balls Would Be Used?
- Consider a knock-out tournament, say tennis or ping-pong, with
n participants. The winner of any game goes on to the next round and
the loser retires... How many balls have been used in the tournament?
- NCAA Tournament Possibilities
- In an NCAA Tournament office pool where you fill out the brackets
by selecting the team you think will win each game, how many possible
combinations are there?
- Predicting NCAA Tournament
- What are the odds of one person predicting the winners of all
63 games in the NCAA Basketball Tournament?
- Dinner Triplets
- A woman has 15 friends. For 35 days she wants to have dinner with
3 friends a day, arranging it so that each pair of friends will come
only once. Is this possible?
High School Discrete Mathematics
Index of Selected Answers to Common Questions
© 1994- The Math Forum at NCTM. All rights reserved.
Home || The Math Library || Quick Reference || Search || Help