Ask Dr. Math
Volume of a Tank
Dr. Math Home ||
Middle School ||
High School ||
Dr. Math FAQ
- Finding the Volume of a Tank,
a selection of answers from the Dr. Math archives.
- Volume of a Cylinder
- What is the volume of the storage tank with a diameter 6m, height 5m?
- Volume of Liquid in a
- How can I calculate volume of liquid in a cylinder that's not
full and lying horizontally?
- Units and Cylinder Volume
- Find the volume and surface area of a cylindical storage tank
with a radius of 15 feet and a height of 30 feet.
- Depth of a Tank
- A tank 100' long and 10' wide holds 15,000 cu. ft. of water...
- Horizontal Gas Tank Content
- Can you help me find a formula to measure the volume of gas left
in a horizontal gas tank given the height of the gas and the dimensions
of the tank?
- 1/4 Tank Dipstick Problem
(from Car Talk)
- The gauge on Rick's 18-wheeler is broken, so he uses a dowel
to measure the diesel in his tank, which is cylinder-shaped, 20 inches
in diameter, and sits on its side. How can he mark the dipstick to
show 1/4 of a tank of fuel?
- Liquid in an Elliptical Tank
- Given any height of liquid, say 3 ft., how can I calculate the volume?
- Volume of a Cylindrical Tank
- I have to keep an inventory of how much is kept in a farm of tanks
outside my school. The tanks are cylindrical, which would be no problem
if they were standing on end...
- Volume of a Partially Filled
- I have a cylindrical tank on its side, and want to mark a
dipstick for it.
- Volume of Liquid in
- How can I calculate the area under a chord of a circle -
the amount of liquid in a cylinder laid in the horizontal plane?
- Volume by Inch of a Cone-Shaped Tank
- I have a chemical tank that has a cone bottom and I need to know the
volume of each inch of the cone.
- Variable Volumes in an Oblate Spheroid
- We need to know how much water is in the tank at any given time.
- Segment of an Ellipse
- We often use horizontal oval tanks for storing drinking water and fuel,
and we would like to be able to calculate the contents.
- Fuel Left in an Ellipsoidal Tank
- How much fuel is left in a tank at any depth, given that the tank is
- Finding the Volume of a Horizontal Tank
- What is the formula for finding the volume of a horizontal cylinder?
- Changing Angle of a Tank
- Points A and B represent pressure sensors in fixed positions on the base
of a round tank. The chord through CD represents the water level in the tank.
Lines a and b are the heights of water registered by each sensor...
- Volume of Liquid in the Bottom of a Tank
- I need to be able to calculate the volume of stored liquid in the parabolic
bowl of a cylindrical vertical tank based on the liquid level.
High School Calculus
High School Conic Sections/Circles
High School Trigonometry
Index of Selected Answers to Common Questions
© 1994-2013 Drexel University. All rights reserved.
Home || The Math Library || Quick Reference || Search || Help
The Math Forum is a research and educational enterprise of the Drexel University School of Education.