Rational/Irrational Numbers

Date: 03/12/99 at 14:29:06
From: Jim Melbourne
Subject: Intermediate Nature of rational/irrational Numbers

I have been asked to prove that between any two numbers, there is a
rational number and an irrational number and, therefore, infinite
numbers of each. Can you help me?

Date: 03/15/99 at 13:02:07
From: Doctor Nick

There are quite a few ways to prove this; here is one.

Suppose your two numbers are x and y, with x < y. If y - x > 1, then
there is an integer r between x and y, and integers are rational, and
we are done. If y - x is not greater than 1, then consider the
intervals

   10x to 10y
   100x to 100y
   1000x to 1000y

and so forth. Eventually, one of these intervals will be longer than 1,
since each one is ten times longer than the previous one. In other
words, for some n, we will have

   (10^n)y - (10^n)x > 1

This means there must be an integer in the interval: there will be an
integer r so that

   (10^n)x < r < (10^n)y

Now, divide through by (10^n) and we get

   x < r/(10^n) < y

Since r is an integer, r/(10^n) is rational.

To find an irrational number, you can do a similar thing. When
(10^n)y - (10^n)x > the square root of 2 = sqrt(2), the interval
contains an integer multiple of sqrt(2). That is, for some integer n,
and some integer t, we have

   (10^n)x < t*sqrt(2) < (10^n)y

and hence

   x < (t/(10^n))*sqrt(2) < y

Since sqrt(2) is irrational, every non-zero rational multiple of
sqrt(2) is irrational; hence, (t/(10^n))*sqrt(2) is irrational.

Make sure that every step makes complete sense to you. Write back if
you do not understand any of it.

- Doctor Nick, The Math Forum

College Analysis
High School Analysis