Calculating a Matrix Eigenvalue

Date: 7/16/96 at 4:19:6
From: Shuichi Suga
Subject: Calculating Eigenvalue

Dear Dr. Math,

   I have a question about the way to calculate the eigenvalue
quickly with a computer. In this case, each matrix element can be a
complex value.

   Please tell me the best way to calculate the complex matrix
eignevalue with the fastest speed.

   Thank you beforehand.

Sincerely yours,
Shuichi Suga

Date: 7/16/96 at 10:53:23
From: Doctor Anthony
Subject: Re: Calculating Eigenvalue

The eigenvalues will be the solutions of the characteristic equation:
det|A-kI| = 0  They will be real or complex depending on the roots of
that equation.  If your computer can solve the polynomial, (with
complex coefficients) giving both real and complex roots, then you
have the method you are asking for.

-Doctor Anthony,  The Math Forum

College Linear Algebra