Stationary Point

Date: 10/27/1999 at 21:53:52
From: Y. C. Lee
Subject: Calculus (Stationary Point)

Please help me to solve the following question:

Show that the curve y = x*ln(2x-3) has no stationary point in the
region for which x > 2.

Date: 10/28/1999 at 03:52:23
From: Doctor Mitteldorf
Subject: Re: Calculus (Stationary Point)

Dear Mr. Lee,

A stationary point is just a place where the derivative dy/dx = 0. If
you take the derivative and set the result equal to 0, you'll have an
equation that you can solve for x. Your job is to prove there are no
solutions for x > 2.

- Doctor Mitteldorf, The Math Forum

College Calculus
High School Calculus