Four-Color Map Theorem

Date: 3 Apr 1995 22:45:50 -0400
From: Everett Boyer
Subject: Four color map theorem?

Dear Dr.Math,

I hear the famous Four-color map theorem was either proved or disproved,
and that extensive computer effort was required.  So...
(A useful answer to question 3 might be sufficient.)

(1) Exactly how is the theorem properly phrased?

(2) Is it true, false, or still undecided?

(3) Where (preferably as an on-line URL) might the (proposed) proof
and the associated algorithm be obtained?

Thanks in advance,
Everett Boyer

Date: 14 Apr 1995 14:37:21 -0400
From: Dr. Ken
Subject: Re: Four color map theorem?

Hello there!

Well, after a long time spent searching (which is okay, because I found
a new math history server) I found this URL about the 4-color theorem:
http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk:80/~history/HistTopics/The_four_colour_theorem.html

Check it out, it's pretty cool!
By the way, the theorem is considered true and proven.

-Ken "Dr." Math

Associated Topics:
College Discrete Math