Ten Commandments of Math

Date: 07/05/97 at 21:10:31
From: alicia pope
Subject: 10 commandments of math

I'm trying to find a copy of the Ten Commandments of Math. Any idea
where to look or what they are?

Thanks,
Alicia

Date: 07/08/97 at 13:31:53
From: Doctor Terrel
Subject: Re: 10 commandments of math

Dear Alicia,

Here is the Ten Commandments form that I found several years ago.
There may be other versions, but I think you'll like this one for
sure.

            The TEN COMMANDMENTS of MATHEMATICS

1. Thou shalt read thy problem...carefully.

2. Whatsoever thou doest to one side of thy equation, do ye also to
   the other.

3. Thou must use thy "common sense", else thou wilt have flagpoles
   9,000 feet high.  Yea, even fathers younger than sons.

4. Thou shalt ignore the teachings of false prophets to do all thy
   work in thy head.

5. When thou knowest not, thou shalt look it up; and if thy search
   still elude thee, thou shalt ask thy All-Knowing Teacher.

6. Thou shalt master each step before putting thy heavy foot down on
   the next.

7. Thy correct answer does not prove that thou hast worked thy problem
   correctly.  This argument convincest none, least of all thy
   Teacher.

8. Thou shalt first see that thou hast copied thy problem correctly,
   before bearing false witness that the answer book lieth.

9. Thou shalt look back even unto thy youth and remember thy
   arithmetic.

10. Thou shalt learn, read, write ,speak, and listen correctly in the
   language of mathematics, and verily A's and B's shall follow thee
   even unto graduation.

-Doctor Terrel,  The Math Forum

High School About Math
Middle School About Math