Who Invented Binary?

Date: 05/07/2000 at 11:44:13
From: Jenny
Subject: Binary system of numbers

Who invented the binary system of numbers and when was it developed?

Date: 05/12/2000 at 15:53:37
From: Doctor TWE
Subject: Re: Binary system of numbers

Hi Jenny. Thanks for writing to Dr. Math.

Gottfried Wilhelm von Leibniz (the same Leibniz who co-discovered the
Calculus) first formally described the binary number system and its
operations in writing in 1679. It is likely, however, that the ancient
Greeks (and possibly others) also knew of and explored this and other
number bases.

Leibniz also philosophized about a computer based on a binary
numerical system. In 1679 he wrote, "Despite its length, the binary
system, in other words counting with 0 and 1, is scientifically the
most fundamental system, and leads to new discoveries. When numbers
are reduced to 0 and 1, a beautiful order prevails everywhere."

I hope this helps! If you have any more questions, write back!

- Doctor TWE, The Math Forum

High School About Math
High School History/Biography
Middle School About Math