Computer Software for Writing Math Problems

Date: 05/12/2000 at 23:50:19
From: Rajeev Jain
Subject: How to Write Mathematical Problems on a Computer

I want to write mathematical problems on computers, but find it
difficult in MS Word. Please inform whether there is specialized
software to write mathematics, which incorporates all symbols, etc.

Rajeev Jain

Date: 05/15/2000 at 11:26:29
From: Doctor TWE

Hi Rajeev - thanks for writing to Dr. Math.

Microsoft Word has a tool called Microsoft Equation or Microsoft
Equation Editor (In Word 97 for Windows it's Microsoft Equation 3.0.)
This allows you to create mathematical equations the way they'd appear
in textbooks or other professional publications.

If you leave the document in Word format, you can edit the equation in
future sessions. If you convert the document to other formats - html,
for example - it will convert the equation to a graphic in .gif
format. To use the equation editor, put the cursor where you want the
equation to appear (it can be in-line or as a separate paragraph) and
in Windows, select the menu items [Insert]-[Object...]-[Microsoft
Equation 3.0]. Its use is fairly straightforward, but you can get help
from the [Help] menu if necessary.

There are also many stand-alone equation editors, both full-featured
professional versions and inexpensive/freeware personal versions. To
find information about these, type "equation editor" (without the
quotes) in any Internet search engine.

If you want to type plain-text - or ASCII - equations (in e-mail,
for example), check out our page on typing math at:

   http://mathforum.org/dr.math/faq/faq.typing.math.html

and Karl Hahn's Math Notation via Email Web page at:

   http://www.karlscalculus.org/email.html

- Doctor TWE, The Math Forum

High School About Math