Making Math Interesting

Date: 08/15/2000 at 12:15:35
From: Laura
Subject: Math Tips

Hi,

My name is Laura and I am going into 7th grade. This summer, I have
been studying and trying to practice pre-algebra almost every day. I
read people's questions and write down the math tips you give them. I
hear math starts to get really hard around 7th and 8th grade, so do
you have any tips for how I can stay focused in math this coming year,
and succeed?

Thanks.
Laura

Date: 08/16/2000 at 09:43:34
From: Doctor Ian
Subject: Re: Math Tips

Hi Laura,

Actually, math starts to get _fun_ in 7th and 8th grade. You stop
dealing with particular numbers, and start dealing with patterns,
which are much more powerful, and therefore much more interesting.

I don't believe that anyone can stay focused for long on a subject
that she doesn't like, so my advice would be to learn to enjoy math,
instead of looking at it as something that you're 'supposed' to learn.

'Easier said than done', you're thinking? Well, it's not as difficult
as you may think. One way to get interested in anything is to read
books (or listen to lectures) by people who really love the subject,
because that kind of love can be contagious. If you want to learn
physics, you can't do better than to listen to Richard Feynman lecture
about it. If you want to learn how the mind works, the best places to
start (in my opinion) are with Doug Hofstadter's book _Godel, Escher,
Bach_ (but just read the dialogs between the chapters to start) and
Marvin Minsky's book _The Society of Mind_.

And if you want to learn about math... well, there are so many good
books that I hesitate to recommend just one or two. Go to the math
section of a good bookstore and start browsing. Pick up a book that
looks interesting, open it to somewhere in the middle, and read a few
pages. See if the author seems to be on your wavelength. When he or
she explains things to you, do they seem clear, or do you have to
struggle to understand what he or she is saying? If it isn't
connecting with you, put the book down and look at another one.

The good news is, I can guarantee you that there are a number of books
out there that, once you've found them, will seem to have been written
especially for you. The bad news is, you may have to kiss a lot of
frogs to find a prince. So kiss them quickly, and keep looking.

I also find that biographies are an excellent way to keep a subject
interesting. I discovered in college that whenever I wanted to learn
about a new subject, I should start by reading a biography of the
person who came up with it. Sometimes that would be a whole book.
Sometimes it would be an encyclopedia article. And that method may not
work for you as well as it did for me, but I would suggest that you
give it a try.

(A good biography will do two things for you: first, it will place
whatever the subject did in context, letting you know why other people
thought it was important - why it let them do something they had
previously been prevented from doing. Second, it will expose you to
what more often than not turns out to be the clearest explanation of
the relevant concept - that is, the one that the innovator used to
explain it to himself.)

In any case, I guess I would ask you to keep two things in mind:

(1) Mathematicians don't do mathematics because they get paid to do
it, or because they think it will somehow be useful. In almost every
case, they are motivated by one of two things: fun or beauty. I know
that can be hard to believe, given the way math classes are normally
taught in schools, but it's true, and just what makes mathematics fun
and beautiful is the kind of thing that you can learn by reading
biographies.

(2) Technical subjects (like math or chemistry) are often taught
backward, and I wish I could give you a good reason for that, but I
can't. Everyone I knew growing up hated high-school chemistry, and so
did I, because we seemed to spend endless hours doing things like
converting grams to pounds and ounces to liters, and learning to
determine how much of reagents X and Y you'd need to make some
particular amount of reagent Z. None of which has anything to do with
what's really going on in chemistry! They don't help you understand
why different substances have different colors, why some are
transparent while others are opaque, why some are hard and brittle
while others are soft and pliable, why water gets larger when it
freezes while most other things get smaller, why fish smell so bad if
they aren't frozen immediately, how two things as different as
diamonds and graphite can be made by arranging the same kinds of atoms
in different configurations... and so on. It's an enormous, endlessly
fascinating subject - and it almost seems at times as if there is a
conspiracy among high school chemistry teachers to keep all the good
stuff a secret.

It wasn't until I got to college, where they started dealing with the
components of molecules (atoms and electrons) that chemistry started
making sense. That's where they should have started, and there is no
telling how many kids had their interest in the subject killed by
starting at the other end.

Similarly, mathematics is, by and large, taught backward. You are
drilled on little skills, which turn out to be important, but without
ever really being shown the bigger picture, which would help you
understand _why_ they are important. Can you imagine trying to teach
someone to play chess by having them practice moving the individual
pieces, without ever letting them know that there was such a thing as
a chess 'game', or even letting them see a board with more than one
piece on it? Who would bother to learn it? That's something like the
way we currently go about teaching math. Is it any wonder that so many
students lose interest so early?

I hope this helps. If you'd like to write back and tell me more about
what you have and haven't liked about the math that you've learned so
far, I may be able to point you towards the resources that would be
most suitable for you. Or maybe I can help you see the larger picture,
which will help make the skills you'll be asked to learn seem
valuable, rather than arbitrary.

- Doctor Ian, The Math Forum

High School About Math
Middle School About Math